Weird Edelbrock carb problem - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tunnel rams at speed with the velocity through the carb venturis make a V8 like 2 4 cylinder engines so both ends of the plenum need to be of equal sized volume Or you get the front 4 cylinders fighting the back and on some tunnel rams you may need to stagger jet the carbs to get each cylinders fuel air ratio the same! Some tunnel rams have some cylinders that run lean as velocity builds and RPM climbs because of individual engine cylinder characteristics , You also want absolutely open exhaust headers with about 18 inches of collector added off the header collector flanges of the headers! If your headers have a 3 " collector add a 3 inch dia x 18 inch long tubes if 3 1/2 add 3 1/2 x 18 tubes ETC 18 inches is just an average length that works very well! If mufflers or anything else slows down exhaust scavenging you will get a reversion!! Running right off the headers collector does not add to scavenging there is no area to build velocity of the escaping exhaust after it leaves the primary tubes the addition of the collector tube extension blends the primary tubes pulses and the length of the tube increases the velocity and scavenging effect!!!!

You Probably know all that already LOL

Jester

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 03:50 PM

Last journal entry: A little cancer
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Tunnel rams at speed with the velocity through the carb venturis make a V8 like 2 4 cylinder engines so both ends of the plenum need to be of equal sized volume Or you get the front 4 cylinders fighting the back and on some tunnel rams you may need to stagger jet the carbs to get each cylinders fuel air ratio the same! Some tunnel rams have some cylinders that run lean as velocity builds and RPM climbs because of individual engine cylinder characteristics , You also want absolutely open exhaust headers with about 18 inches of collector added off the header collector flanges of the headers! If your headers have a 3 " collector add a 3 inch dia x 18 inch long tubes if 3 1/2 add 3 1/2 x 18 tubes ETC 18 inches is just an average length that works very well! If mufflers or anything else slows down exhaust scavenging you will get a reversion!! Running right off the headers collector does not add to scavenging there is no area to build velocity of the escaping exhaust after it leaves the primary tubes the addition of the collector tube extension blends the primary tubes pulses and the length of the tube increases the velocity and scavenging effect!!!!

You Probably know all that already LOL

Jester
More interesting news, most of which I didn't know. To quote the movie "Almost Heroes" "you want my head to explode!" LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM

not a lot of guys understand stagger jetting.Its a big thing in BBCs.PJ will do you well here.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

set the idle with a manifold vacuum gauge. It will want to be richer than 14.7:1 Where did you get that idea.
14.7 is too lean at idle set it for best vacuum and idle quality. Should end up 12.5 to 13.5 ish.

Bog on launch Lock the distributor out 36deg full time. That cam needs full locked out timing.
Lazy timing = lazy throttle response dirty spark plugs or wrong gap.
Accelerator pump shot (spacers need more shot.)
( I would remove the spacers)
It looks like it studdered when you rugged it. brief 18:1 AFR's.

Burn out should quickly go to high gear 1-2-3 5500rpm+ get it in high gear at 5500+rpm and wait to see tire smoke. Then let off the brake/line lock.
You did not get the tires hot.

if the fool working the water box is spraying water all over the place other than just enough to maintain a small water puddle in the water box. Get out of your car and punch him square in the face.

He is trying to kill you. And every one else there... (tracking water down track.)
some one is going to die (smack the wall)
Do not do the burn out in the water box. All you need and want is the wet pavement in front of the box.
You do not want to carry water on your tires or chassis/wheel wells up to the start line.

PJ is so right about the headers and collector extensions and tunnel rams. And flow master mufflers suck.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 04-14-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Further: DO NOT REV LOAD the engine against the converter at stage/launch.
You want to launch from very near idle rpm. 1000 to 1300 rpm.
The lower the better. The locked out timing allows this.
Fix the distributor. Lock out the mechanical advance system. Stalling up on the converter when staging SLOWS YOU DOWN!

Your burnout/driving staging method is really bad. This car should easily yank the front wheels on launch 1.60 60ft.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Your driving method is very bad. Get the fugggging thingk into 3rd gear

Shift it at 6000rpm. No wonder you got no mph.

shift at 6000 1-2 6000-2-3. Then try 6500 rpm. Get the thing into 3rd gear.

You cannot track tune/jet a car that is not being driven correctly.

ya it needs a lot more gear..... get it into 3rd right after the 1/8th mile mark.

The car needs 4.88 gears. (30" tire)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
not a lot of guys understand stagger jetting.Its a big thing in BBCs.PJ will do you well here.
Interesting concept. Would like to hear more on it. I'll do some searches on it.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
Your driving method is very bad. Get the fugggging thingk into 3rd gear

Shift it at 6000rpm. No wonder you got no mph.

shift at 6000 1-2 6000-2-3. Then try 6500 rpm. Get the thing into 3rd gear.

You cannot track tune/jet a car that is not being driven correctly.

ya it needs a lot more gear..... get it into 3rd right after the 1/8th mile mark.

The car needs 4.88 gears. (30" tire)
Thanks for all the good info. Haven't raced in over forty years and things have sure changed! Making my list now! and checking it twice!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Its hard getting back into it after many years, Nerves, Adrenalin, young guys watching the old fart and the gasser , You don't want to make a fool of yourself LOL a LOT of us have been there!!!!! The test and tune is a good place to get your confidence back with no pressure while your tuning the car your also tuning your driving skills back to what they used to be

Jester
Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Its hard getting back into it after many years, Nerves, Adrenalin, young guys watching the old fart and the gasser , You don't want to make a fool of yourself LOL a LOT of us have been there!!!!! The test and tune is a good place to get your confidence back with no pressure while your tuning the car your also tuning your driving skills back to what they used to be

Jester
Didn't get to do it that much back then. Had a senior trip to da Nam that put a hold on things. With the advice from the great group here I'll get better. I was wondering last T-n-T why everybody was taking off so easy. In my day it was wing it up there n let it go. Most of them are pretty quite too, but then, I'm old n don't hear so good. lol
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang16 View Post
Didn't get to do it that much back then. Had a senior trip to da Nam that put a hold on things. With the advice from the great group here I'll get better. I was wondering last T-n-T why everybody was taking off so easy. In my day it was wing it up there n let it go. Most of them are pretty quite too, but then, I'm old n don't hear so good. lol
A lot of cars take off easy and gain speed after leaving the line because their tires wont bite the track! About being quiet I would guess they are running through mufflers! I just did a guys road runner and he leaves the line easy because the first time he left hard it was such a hard launch it scarred the hell out of him! and its a weekend show car he was afraid somthing would break! he built a car for drag and bragging rights but doesn't use it for that. he runs 13s when he drives it, But when tuneing I drove it and its in the 11s! And he was like a chicken with its head cut off watching me worried it would get dirty and then went nuts because hot rubber stuck to his quarter!!!!

Jester LOL

Spell check isn't working So forgive my spelling LOL
Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
A lot of cars take off easy and gain speed after leaving the line because their tires wont bite the track! About being quiet I would guess they are running through mufflers! I just did a guys road runner and he leaves the line easy because the first time he left hard it was such a hard launch it scarred the hell out of him! and its a weekend show car he was afraid somthing would break! he built a car for drag and bragging rights but doesn't use it for that. he runs 13s when he drives it, But when tuneing I drove it and its in the 11s! And he was like a chicken with its head cut off watching me worried it would get dirty and then went nuts because hot rubber stuck to his quarter!!!!

Jester LOL

Spell check isn't working So forgive my spelling LOL
LOL Have some guys like that in local club. Blown Henry J has never raced it and now he's thinking about selling it. I've thought about quieting down my ride but kind of takes the fun out of it. lol 13 to 11's, big difference! May go to Mokan on Saturday for some t-n-t before the spring hot rod reunion on Sunday.
Oh yeah! What you were saying about the pipes after headers. I was thinking about doing that and putting some 3 bolt header flanges at the end to connect/disconnect the mufflers. The ball type fitting would probably be better though. Your thoughts? Muffler types?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang16 View Post
LOL Have some guys like that in local club. Blown Henry J has never raced it and now he's thinking about selling it. I've thought about quieting down my ride but kind of takes the fun out of it. lol 13 to 11's, big difference! May go to Mokan on Saturday for some t-n-t before the spring hot rod reunion on Sunday.
Oh yeah! What you were saying about the pipes after headers. I was thinking about doing that and putting some 3 bolt header flanges at the end to connect/disconnect the mufflers. The ball type fitting would probably be better though. Your thoughts? Muffler types?

That's the way many weekend warriors do it! their exhaust hooked to the 18 inch collector extension. With collector flanges you can bolt your exhaust to the flange while they are open with one bolt to hold it up and out of the way!!

I had Flow masters and about every other muffler you can name LOL and last year I bought Summit welded race mufflers (aluminized) and I like em a lot, but to each their own everyone has what they prefer! A lot of guys with the nostalgia drag cars run baffles on the street or a stackable baffle right on or in the end of the collector They work pretty good !!!

I always say "Drive em the way they were built to run!!!!" But then there are the pretenders and trailer queens LOL

Jester
Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
That's the way many weekend warriors do it! their exhaust hooked to the 18 inch collector extension. With collector flanges you can bolt your exhaust to the flange while they are open with one bolt to hold it up and out of the way!!

I had Flow masters and about every other muffler you can name LOL and last year I bought Summit welded race mufflers (aluminized) and I like em a lot, but to each their own everyone has what they prefer! A lot of guys with the nostalgia drag cars run baffles on the street or a stackable baffle right on or in the end of the collector They work pretty good !!!

I always say "Drive em the way they were built to run!!!!" But then there are the pretenders and trailer queens LOL

Jester
Looked at baffles a few months ago and wasn't sure about them. Any louder than flow master 10's? How loud are your race muffs? 3" I assume?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 PM

The exhaust does not have to be loud just because the pipes are large diameter.The engines that make more power will fill the exhaust system more efficiently than a whimpy motor.
ever hear a stock honda civic with a coffee can muffler?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.