Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   weird firewall dents (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/weird-firewall-dents-231082.html)

crownver 03-23-2013 03:44 PM

weird firewall dents

1 Attachment(s)
Started cleaning up the firewall on my project and I'm curious if anyone has an idea. Have these strange little pinpoint dents in it. About 20 or 25 of them. No particular pattern, so not from factory I think. Took quite a bit of force to put them in. I can't budge em with a hammer and dolly, so a bigger hammer and a big chunk of steel I think.

S10 Racer 03-23-2013 04:48 PM

Must have been a gangsters car in the past, maybe a shotgun blast. LOL:thumbup: But on the serious side, I really have no idea why they would be there.

69 widetrack 03-23-2013 05:55 PM

Is this on your 1977 Ford Truck? I'm not sure but to me they do look like they've been there from the beginning...I have seen other older pieces of sheet metal with those types of dimples in them...why I don't know but the shape and all they do look like I've seen that kind of indentation before.

Ray

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 03-23-2013 06:06 PM

Probably had some crap on the metal or die when it was formed in metal fab.

crownver 03-23-2013 06:20 PM

69WT, it is on the '77 Ford.

Quote:

Probably had some crap on the metal or die when it was formed in metal fab.
That's probably it B. My first thought was that something exploded in the engine compartment in the past. They're all on one piece except for a couple on the toe board and on closer inspection I think the original paint is still on them on both sides.

Pretty damn sloppy of them!

69 widetrack 03-23-2013 06:35 PM

It does look like original paint so I would think that you've got original dents. Can you imagine letting something like that go on a customer's car...you'd never hear the end of it.

Ray

crownver 03-23-2013 07:02 PM

So maybe I should leave them seeing as they're "original"!:D

69 widetrack 03-23-2013 07:43 PM

I wouldn't worry about them unless you where planning on some kind of funky firewall where they would take away from the project.

Ray

boothboy 03-23-2013 08:16 PM

Obviously the came from panic stopping while wearing golf shoes.

BB :thumbup:

crownver 03-23-2013 08:48 PM

More likely caulk boots in this truck!

MARTINSR 03-23-2013 10:26 PM

What does the back side look like? Are there scratches in the paint showing that something hit the firewall after it was painted? Or does it look like they happen before it was painted? In that case, a ticked off assembly line worker with a pick hammer?

Brian

Larry123 03-23-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boothboy (Post 1659789)
Obviously the came from panic stopping while wearing golf shoes.

BB :thumbup:

Good one! :thumbup:

crownver 03-24-2013 12:24 AM

As far as I can tell, (haven't cleaned the outside yet) the paint is right into the divots, and I think the paint is original, but not sure. Pretty sure whoever repaired/fixed up this truck originally did do some painting. The paint on the non-original doors pretty much washed off in the weather, and when I wiped down the floor with wax/grease remover the paint comes off.

I'll have a closer look tomorrow. Maybe do a little scrubbing with lacquer thinner.

BTW, the previous builder(?) did a really nice job of finishing the cab corners, but unfortunately, the fiberglass over the balled up newspaper just couldn't hang on. Can't wait until I strip what looks like 1/2" of bondo off the doors!:eek:

crownver 03-24-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

In that case, a ticked off assembly line worker with a pick hammer?
Maybe, but it would have been a damned big pick hammer. Metals fairly thick there and the biggest is probably 3/16" deep. Take a pretty hard wack to make em. Lot of effort too!

Not sure when they built these trucks they knew what a pick hammer was anyway. Looking at the fit and finish I mean. Scraping out some of the body sealer and getting gaps of at least 1/2" inside the cab. Gonna leave the good stuff in place I think.

By the way, the dents are from the outside in.

Irelands child 03-24-2013 06:46 AM

Those do look like a small caliber gun dents to me - i.e. a .22. The metal is stretched to almost breaking through. You 'allude' to a loggers caulked boots - possibly an evening of drink and lust on a weekend, the truck wouldn't start and a previous owner was just trying to 'kill' it.

Now, pick up cab corner repairs - that's a tried and proven method using glass, newspapers and Bondo and comes with a 10 - 10 warranty ( ten minutes or ten miles, whichever comes first )