Hot Rod Forum banner

Weird issue that I can't find a word for, does anyone know what this is?

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  painted jester 
#1 ·
In case it matters: Basically stock, brand new 355 sbc with nice aluminium heads, 650 holley DP, and the smallest thumpr cam. T-5 Manual, and terrible (like 2.43 or something) highway rear end ratio. (will be 4.11 in 2 months)

I know I have a bit of the car shaking back and forth when cruising in the wrong rpms, and I'm pretty sure that has to do with the rear end ratio, but this other issue seems different.

Basically, when cruising down the street, if I give light throttle and I'm under 2k rpm, I will get quick little jumps or hiccups. It kinda feels like quick little clutch slips, but they are quick . Or, maybe, tiny little bursts of power. They happen until the rpms get above 2kish, and feel like they come in a random pattern.

It's quite audible, and you can feel it jolt you. It just sounds like tiny tiny quick little pops of rpm jumps. I tried simulating it by taping my clutch pedal, but I couldn't move my foot quick enough.

#2 ·
Check your secondary accelerator pump! It could cause a stumbling from not being adjusted right and not getting a good squirt right when the secondary's are starting to open on mild acceleration! but on hard exceleration from under 2000 to over 2000 you would probably not notice. Thats just a guess but the carbs a good place to start !

Jester

#6 ·
what paiinted jester said is what I had when I modified 650 holley when going from just primary side of carb to secondary transition the car would stutter then jolt forward. It was fine tuning of carb linkage and jetting,it was lean.accelerator pump cam
I would start there unless something is broken?

Hmm. I did change the rear pump cam to a 50cc version. And I remember being frustrated because I couldn't find info on which way to install the cam that came with the 50cc. For all I know I have it put in wrong. I'll go take a look.

#4 ·
what paiinted jester said is what I had when I modified 650 holley when going from just primary side of carb to secondary transition the car would stutter then jolt forward. It was fine tuning of carb linkage and jetting,it was lean.accelerator pump cam
I would start there unless something is broken?

#5 ·
There can be causes that range from how the engine is fueling to ignition, to the clutch is banging the limits on the hub springs. Given the gear ratio at 2000 RPM and opening the throttle, the engine wants you to downshift the T5 to get the RPMs up. This should settle what ever the true issue is by just getting out of the range where it happens.

Bogie

#7 ·
Are you running a 30 cc pump with the pink cam ? Or a 50 cc!

Installing a pump cam is a simple matter of loosening one screw, placing the new pump cam next to the throttle lever, and tightening it up. There are two or three numbered holes in each pump cam. Placing the screw in position number 1 activates the accelerator pump a little early,allowing full use of the pump's capacity. Generally, vehicles that normally run at lower idle speeds (600 or 700 rpm) find this position more useful because they can have a good pump shot available coming right off this relatively low idle. Positions number 2 or 3 delay the pump action, relatively speaking. These two cam positions are good for engine's that idle at 1,000 rpm or above. Repositioning the cam compensates for the extra throttle rotation required to maintain the relatively higher idle setting. Pump-arm adjustment and clearance should be checked and verified each and every time the pump cam or pump-camposition is changed.

To set clearance: This tip is critical. Adjust the accelerator pump linkage with zero clearance so as soon as the rear throttle plate is opened, the accelerator pump arm also moves to push fuel out of the squirter. Adjust the pump cam arm to ensure that this system pumps fuel the moment the throttle moves. And the pink cam may be off for your set up! You may need a brown or ETC,ETC, and make sure the squirter nozzles are both squirting with no restrictions!

Jester!

#8 ·
I got the 30cc in front and a 50cc in the back. Soon as it stops raining I'm gonna go out and double check the clearance and whatnot on the rear. I think I might have installed the brown cam on the 50cc secondary pump incorrectly. I'll post back with what I find.

#12 ·
Just went and checked and my 50cc rear pump has the brown cam in it, but I have it installed flat side up, rounded side down. I remember thinking how the pump was like, already half squirted while just at rest with the brown cam installed rounded side up. Was I correct to install flat side up?

#13 ·
Depends on the style cam some are flat on top and bottom depends on their transition! And can be tailored by filing! Heres a good video by Holley watch close and pause it when you come to the cam installation and you will see!! And I wont have to type a book LOL:D A pictures worth a thousand words!!

Jester:thumbup:

and heres a chart that may help you!

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/PumpCamGraph.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.