Weird Light problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2007, 03:30 PM
TurboS10's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Texas
Age: 36
Posts: 3,463
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weird Light problems

Hey guys,

I need some help figuring out what happend to my marker and blinker circuit, so I can get it working again. The vehicle is an 87 V3500. As it is now, all bulbs are good. The right hand markers, running lights and blinkers all work as they should. The left hand front running light in front does not light, but the side marker does light. The rear running light works. All three blink when the blinker is on.

The unusual part is that the blinker blinks slower on the left side, and the front running and marker lights blink at the same time. On the right side the front running and marker light alternate and blink faster. Also, the right indicator on the dash does not work while the left one stays lit only when the running lights or all lights are on. It does blink in all light positions.

I know the series parallel combination wiring makes some wierd symptoms when a wire is wrong or a bulb is out. As far as I can tell all the wiring is original, but it has not worked right since I got the truck.

I cant find anything wrong....please help.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prattsville
Posts: 6,349
Wiki Edits: 31

Thanks: 2
Thanked 53 Times in 49 Posts
check the fuses. some spade fuse box's let you cross them over diffrent circuits. ( great for pranks )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
78novaman's Avatar
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
 
Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Central Ohio
Age: 31
Posts: 299
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What does it do if you turn the hazard flashers on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2007, 06:59 PM
31 five window
 

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: louisiana
Age: 56
Posts: 1,576
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboS10
Hey guys,

I need some help figuring out what happend to my marker and blinker circuit, so I can get it working again. The vehicle is an 87 V3500. As it is now, all bulbs are good. The right hand markers, running lights and blinkers all work as they should. The left hand front running light in front does not light, but the side marker does light. The rear running light works. All three blink when the blinker is on.

The unusual part is that the blinker blinks slower on the left side, and the front running and marker lights blink at the same time. On the right side the front running and marker light alternate and blink faster. Also, the right indicator on the dash does not work while the left one stays lit only when the running lights or all lights are on. It does blink in all light positions.

I know the series parallel combination wiring makes some wierd symptoms when a wire is wrong or a bulb is out. As far as I can tell all the wiring is original, but it has not worked right since I got the truck.

I cant find anything wrong....please help.
On most vehicles if a bulb is out it will blink faster or slower depending on year. If every thing else checks out it is usually a bad ground. When ever lights do strange things always check all grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2007, 07:04 PM
TurboS10's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Texas
Age: 36
Posts: 3,463
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78novaman
What does it do if you turn the hazard flashers on?
Hmmm...don't know. That is the only thing I forgot. I will go out and check then report back later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2007, 07:05 PM
TurboS10's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Texas
Age: 36
Posts: 3,463
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
On most vehicles if a bulb is out it will blink faster or slower depending on year. If every thing else checks out it is usually a bad ground. When ever lights do strange things always check all grounds.
The more I thought about it, the more I think you are right. I will have to do some searching....which is tough with dual batteries, intercooler and all the hoses stuffed in the nose of this sucker....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
TurboS10's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Texas
Age: 36
Posts: 3,463
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I have to change one thing after looking at the lights again. The front marker and running light do not light at all except when blinking.

When the hazards are on everything works correctly. All the lights blink at the right speed. In hazard the front right and left marker and running lights blink together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange amps light problem 78transam Electrical 8 12-04-2006 04:46 PM
How many rodders does it take to change a light bulb? Dusty82 Hotrodders' Lounge 6 09-01-2005 10:02 PM
Brake light problems RodFather Electrical 3 07-29-2005 10:45 AM
Choke light WakBordr7387 Electrical 3 06-16-2005 08:43 PM
timing light problems on sbc 4onthefloor 2 Engine 5 03-06-2005 07:47 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.