Weird shifting problem 2002 Impala - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Weird shifting problem 2002 Impala

Not sure if this should go in the engine or transmission forum.

I have a 2002 Chevy Impala LS with the 3.8 motor it has 32000 miles on it, when starting from a stop it has good power but does not shift into second when it should and loses power, when it does shift into second it has good power again but has a very difficult time shifting into third, some times I have to pump the gas a few times to get it to shift once it does shift it keeps jumping back and forth from second and third until it gets up to speed then shift into forth, once in forth it will jump back and forth from third and forth until up to speed.

The trans seem solid when in gear with no slipping and the fluid is not burned.

The engine light has come on at times while having these shifting problems, I had it checked and the engine light was due to a misfire, I figured the fuel injectors where clogged so I run a tank of gas and fuel injector cleaner through it with no luck.

I hate computer controlled cars and have no idea what the problem is, hoping some one here can help me out and send me in the right direction.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 10:20 PM

Trans is completely computer controlled. Find an ATRA or ATSG member shop for scan test/diagnostics.
Computer is not commanding trans operation correctly, probably due to a faulty sensor...too many to list.
Embrace the future; it is upon you now!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406chevelle
The engine light has come on at times while having these shifting problems, I had it checked and the engine light was due to a misfire, I figured the fuel injectors where clogged so I run a tank of gas and fuel injector cleaner through it with no luck.
Exactly what PCM engine misfire code was setting off the SES light, as there are several that can?

P0300 is a "random/ multiple cylinder misfire detected" and can happen if you change plug wires and cross two when re-installing them (which I did on my 99 Jimmy just 2 weeks ago), or it could mean one of the coilpack coils is failing, etc..

P0314 is a "misfire detected, cylinder not specific"

Your problem sounds like a controller malfunction, but I am unaware if the transmission is controlled by the PCM or not.

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 02-03-2006 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

Impala

Another common problem is the throttle position sensor. If it is giving erratic signals, the computer doesn't know which gear to select. Sometimes they can have glitches that do not get detected as a failed sensor until they get worse.

Rick
Old 02-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Bigger is better

Last photo:

Hmmm...tough one to diagnose without actually being there.

Best thing for you to do is take it to a dealership or a shop with the right equipment and have them pull the codes and do a few diagnostics.

have you altered anyhting on the engine? Even something as simple as a tune-up? hit any oversized puddles? Changed the tire size?

Not sure, but the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) may also be a culprit..but getting a misfire code is odd. can't remeber exactly how many inputs have an effect on the trans.

Take it to a professional. it's your best bet.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:29 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies.

M&M the misfire was P0314 is a "misfire detected, cylinder not specific" and the injector cleaner must have helped that because the light has gone off but still have problems with the trans.

I will be taking it to a shop to have it tested, I hate dealing with these newer cars that are over loaded with sensors for anything and everything. Now to find a shop that won't want to just replace the trans for big $$$$$ and see how that works, wish I could diagnostics it myself I don't trust transmission shops and the dealerships here are a rip off joke.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Bigger is better

Last photo:

Well, the newer, more complicated, but usually better transmissions are a little hard to get used to...but actually easier to diagnose with the proper equipment.

Alot of problems can be diagnosed just by pulling the codes or checking voltages/resistances with a multi-meter.

I'm waiting for someone to total loss one of the new V8 FWD impalas so I can swipe the tranny and build a mid-engine s10.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.