Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - weird timing issue
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie44s View Post
I've used 2 carbs. The one i'm using now is a 750 holley vacuum secondary. I closed the secondary throttle blades and cracked them 1/4 turn so they don't stick. I have the idle set at 750 with the primary blades. I never did see how the primary throttle blades look on the transition slots but I don't see how that would cause my timing problem. The carb is exactly how it came out of the box except idle mixture screws, float level, and i did lighten the secondary spring.

Could the spark plug really be firing when the crank is 60 degrees btdc at idle? I wouldn't think it could run let alone start. I'm just wondering if it's actually firing at 12 or 14 and somehow i'm coming up with 60.
Is the timing light equipped w/a "dial back" feature? This type of light usually has two buttons at the trigger. This type of light will sometimes be inaccurate if used w/MSD boxes. With a dial back light you need to always use the "0" degree line on the tab aligned to line on the damper.

I know you said you used a piston stop to verify TDC, but if this is a sbc engine you're working with, there are several different combos of timing tabs/damper lines, so you might want to double check what you have.