Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - weird timing issue
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie44s View Post
Hey guys, I have been reading htis site for quite a while. It has been very helpful. I have a problem that i can't figure out and I was hoping someone on here could help.

I have built 2 engines, a 383 and a 454. They both run pretty good. I couldn't get the timing right on either one, so I timed them by ear. When I put the light on the timing is reading around 60 degrees.

I must be doing something wrong but have no idea what. I checked true TDC by using a piston stop and rotating clockwise, put a mark then ccw and put a mark and scribed the middle of the 2. One motor was right on, the other was 2* off. I have the firing order 18436572, have timing light on #1 plug wire, yes i'm on #1. I have tried 3 distributors on one motor and I tried 3 timing lights, 2 of the lights showed the same, one showed 3* different. If I put the light on cylinder 6 it shows the exact same thing.

If it really was 60* I don't see how it could actually run, let alone start. If I slow the timing down to where it should be it dies before I get there. What am I doing wrong?

I thought for sure it was me because it's 2 motors and 3 lights. I told a buddy that builds dirt track motors to set the time. He said why can't you, i said just see what you come up with. He did use one of my lights. He was under the hood for 15 minutes and he said I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON.

Sorry for the length and thanks in advance.
Read through this, I get three possibilites;

- First Chevy uses number one on the drivers side as the number one cylinder that timing is checked from, I'm assuming your light is hooked to this, if not this would be the thing to do.

- Second would be you've got a high resistance ignition wires which cut off part of the ignition signal (a thing they're supposed to do) which delays the inductive coupling of the timing light from forming enough voltage to trigger the light when it's needed in a timely fashion for accurate measurement. things happening fast a small delay within the inductive coupling can be a lot of crank degrees.

- Third, the cam is a tooth or two out of time and needs a lot of advance from the ignition to operate the engine.

Bogie