Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   To weld on springs or not (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/weld-springs-not-169808.html)

yragat 12-11-2009 12:46 PM

To weld on springs or not

The right front of my car has always set about 1/2" to 3/4"lower on the right side. I have corvair ifs and have it all apart for new bushings&balljoints. I noticed that the spring on the right side is about 1/2" shorter than the other one. These springs are not flat on top like a mustang spring so I don't think there is a spacer available to put on top of the spring,they just come to an and and the end fits in sort of a slot. I have some old springs here and was wondering if I could (or should) cut off about 6" and weld it to the top of my spring which would make them the same highth If this can be done is there a certain way to go about it,such as welding a little bit at a time so there wouldn't be too much heat at one time or should it be cooled in some special manner?

NEW INTERIORS 12-11-2009 01:51 PM

I wouldn't weld on a spring.. :nono:

ericnova72 12-11-2009 01:59 PM

There is no way to fix the spring. Sounds like one is fatigued more than the other, they are from different years or models, or someone has heated it with a torch to lower it. Your smart move would be just to replace them with a matched used set or new ones if they are available or you can find a crossover to another car. Might have to get new from another car brand like Mustang II and cut the flattened coil off if that could get you the correct length and spring rate. Think outside the box if necessary ;)

What is the outside diameter of the current spring??

Ever figure out why you have one a-arm that was shortened?? (different thread)

yragat 12-11-2009 02:02 PM

NOPE,never di figure out the short arm--going to put it back on,but have a stock-lengh one for backup if needed --these springs are 31/2" inside and 41/2" outside

aosborn 12-11-2009 02:08 PM

You could swap them side for side, install new springs, or trim the high side spring slightly so the ride height will match the low side. Keep in mind that the rear springs can affect the front ride height, that is what wedge is in a circle track car. I have fixed front ride height issues like you describe by repairing rear spring problems. Don't weld on springs!

Andy

yragat 12-11-2009 02:13 PM

I don't want to lower the otherside because the low-riding side has sometimes scrubbed the fender .I have adjustable alden coilovers on the rear and they are adjuster equally

aosborn 12-11-2009 02:23 PM

You still might benefit from some fine tuning on the rear coil-overs when you are all done with reassembly.

Andy

yragat 12-12-2009 09:00 AM

These springs are 3 1/2 " inside and 4 1/2"outside--anyone know of another car that has this size?

amx180mph 12-17-2009 05:56 PM

Mustang vs Corvair

The ends of the Corvair springs are both tangential, (twisted on the ends) The ends of the Mustang II springs are one tangential and but the other end is square. So you can stand the spring up on the floor on one end. You can use a cutoff wheel to cut the square end to tangential.

There were 2 corvair springs used with free lengths of 12.7 (162 lbs) and 12.02 (188 lbs). The spring will compress 5 inches with 854 lbs put upon it.

If you go to NAPA you can look at the Mustang II springs in the book and get all the specs to make a decision on which spring would be the best to cut. I believe the shortest is a hair over 13 5/8 inches with a 315lbs rate. It would around 9 inches tall with 1468 lbs and 11 inches with 854 lbs. upon it.

Just a few things to remember. When cutting the spring with a cutoff wheel only cut about 1/4 of the way at a time and allow to air cool to where you can touch it comfortably. Also keep in mind as you cut the spring shorter it increases the spring rate.

I will try and help you with the formula to figure pound rates

11,250,000 times the wire diameter to the 4th power divided by 8 times the active number of turns times the mean diameter cubed

Example

Note when counting turns on the coil do not count the part that touches A-frame or perch.

If you had a spring wire diameter of .500 with 7 coils a inside diameter of 3.5 the mean diameter would be .500 + 3.5 = 4.00

11,250,000 x (.500 x .500 x .500 x .500) / (8 x 7)x (4.000 x 4.000 x 4.000) = 196 Lbs.

Hope that helps

Dale
Cunningham & Hersh Hot Rods

yragat 12-17-2009 07:05 PM

THANKS
I'm thinking about springs from a Monza,what do U think of these?

Qty

Coil Spring - Front
Product Line: NAPA Chassis Parts
Part Number: NCP 2773028
Price:
Price
Unit
:
:
Pair
Availability:
Call NAPA Store at (724) 929-5522
Features & Benefits Constant Rate Coil Springs Provide A Smooth, Comfortable Ride.; Precision Engineered Coil Springs Are Supplied In Matched Sets.; Coil Springs Support Vehicle Load & Maintain Ride Height For Proper Alignment.; Worn Coil Springs Cause Poor Handling, Improper Alignment & Unnecessary Wear On Tires & Suspension Parts.
Warranty Limited Lifetime-See Manufacturers Written Policy
Warranty PDF
Attributes # Coil Spring Coils : 8.24
Coil Spring Free Height : 13.13"
Coil Spring I.D. : 3.61"
Coil Spring Load Height : 9"
Coil Spring Type : One Tangential End; One Square End
Design Load : 1359
Spring Rate : 330
Wire Diameter : .59"
Material Safety Data Sheet There is no MSDS for this item

E-mail This Item
Contact | About | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Powered by NAPA Parts PRO

amx180mph 12-17-2009 08:50 PM

These may work

If the ID 3.45 will work these should work fine

Coil Spring - Front
Product Line: NAPA Chassis Parts
Part Number: NCP 2773084
Price:
Price
Unit
:
:
Pair
Features & Benefits Constant Rate Coil Springs Provide A Smooth, Comfortable Ride.; Precision Engineered Coil Springs Are Supplied In Matched Sets.; Coil Springs Support Vehicle Load & Maintain Ride Height For Proper Alignment.; Worn Coil Springs Cause Poor Handling, Improper Alignment & Unnecessary Wear On Tires & Suspension Parts.
Warranty Limited Lifetime-See Manufacturers Written Policy
Warranty PDF
Attributes # Coil Spring Coils : 8.75
Coil Spring Free Height : 14.06"
Coil Spring I.D. : 3.45"
Coil Spring Load Height : 9.63"
Coil Spring Type : Two Tangential Ends
Design Load : 861
Spring Rate : 197
Wire Diameter : .5"
Material Safety Data Sheet There is no MSDS for this item
Application Information: 1980 Chevrolet Chevette
Engines : 1.6 L 98 CID L4 SOHC
Submodel : Scooter
Body Styles : 2 Dr. Hatchback
Comments: w/ Automatic Transmission;w/ Air Conditioning
Per Car Qty: 1

Submodel : Scooter
Body Styles : 4 Dr. Hatchback
Comments: w/ Air Conditioning

Submodel : Rally
Body Styles : 4 Dr. Hatchback
Comments: w/ Automatic Transmission;w/ Power Steering;w/ Air Conditioning;w/ Rack & Pinion Steering

ericnova72 12-17-2009 08:57 PM

Looks like it will be awful stiff going from either of the Corvair springs at 162 or 188 lbs/inch to 330 lbs/inch(and higher as you need to cut it to get back to your correct ride height).

Edit: I see AMC180mph has you covered while I typed ;)

yragat 12-17-2009 09:10 PM

I don't think 3.45 Id would work--the corvair ones are 3.5 and fit pretty tight in the grooves in the lower control arm and the upper mount

But I'll look at it closer
Thanks

ericnova72 12-17-2009 09:21 PM

It's only 50 thousandths, 25 thousandths per side, I would think it would go as a coil spring gets bigger around as it is compressed. Might not completely seat until you have it compressed in there and the front suspension assembled, but it should fit.

yragat 12-19-2009 11:42 AM

another thing is---I'm not sure if these are corvair units that I have?? The 2773084 looks to be similar to a corvair spring. Not sure what the weight of my frontend is ,but the whole car weighs around 2500 lbs,so probably around 1500 of it is in front