Welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 06:03 PM

Last journal entry: Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Welder

What is a good, inexpensive welder tp purchase to work on a vehicle. I am going to be welding in patch panels, and some other modifacations that require welding. I've done a small bit of welding before, but never owner one. Just looking for info from guys who weld more than I do. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 07:51 PM

This subject has been covered a bunch of times. Do a search and your question should be answered.
Also check out weldingweb.com, hobartwelders.com and millerwelds.com. You can also search autobody101.com and autobodystore.com. They all have forums where you can search your answer.
The main thing is to stick with a name brand such as one of the big three, Lincoln, Miller or Hobart. They're all good.
For patch panels, a 110V welder such as a 135 mig will do fine. The problem is, as your skill gets better, you'll quickly outgrow the capabilities of a small 110V welder (It's amazing how many things need to be welded around the house and shop). The sage advice is to spend more if you can to get a 220V mig rather than buy twice.
But if all you are going to do is sheet metal, a 135 mig will work well. But if you want to motor mounts and such too, it is better to step up to a bigger unit.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:00 PM

You can find good deals on new in the box welders on ebay if you are patient. I would be leary of buying a used one off of ebay.
Places like Indianaoxygen.com have good prices as well.
Often your local welding store will make you a good deal if you haggle as they want you to come back for consumables.
Some people have had good luck with harbor freight for welders but I didn't. I learned the hard way before buying a Lincoln, hence my suggestion to stick with a name brand.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:00 PM

welder

I would go ahead a spend the extra money and buy a descend welder like a miller,lincoln,holbart. You can find them used at fair price and in the long run you will be glad you did, the quality of weld and the availability of parts will save you a headache in the long run.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Lincoln is still made in USA, someone around here still has their industrial job.
Miller is made in Italy, not bad.
Hobart I hope is still made somewhere better than China, Mexico, or another sweatshop.

I hate to buy stuff based on where it's built but we have to support ourselves somehow (I believe through our fellow Americans, screw the lotto). If we don't support the economy of our Nation, then have the wars America has been through worth the human price? I'm just doing my part preserving what they're fightin' for.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

I have a 110v Hobart with sheilding gas. The hobart works EXCELLENT. I bought it at a local welding supply shop. I use it mainly for my resto work on my 62, but it will weld 1/4 with a single pass. I have $675 into the whole thing. Welder,cart and tank. I would have bought a 220v mig but I have an OLD lincoln duece and a quarter that rocks when you realy have to penatrate some steel. I also recommend to buy a WELL known brand welder. If you do you will have it for years to come.

Dennis
Old 02-11-2007, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Don't know if there was ever a post about this or not but I thought about it while reading through this one.
Does anyone have a MIG welder that does NOT have a wire feed knob and a heat setting knob on it?
An example of what would be in it's place are 2 different knobs:
Knob 1 Has settings for: Off, Steel, Aluminum
Knob 2 Has settings for: Weld, Spot, Stitch
Then there is a small adjusting knob on the MIG gun that turns up your heat AND speed in proper proportion every time.
I am looking to buy one of these types of welders.
I have looked at all the welders manufactured by Hobart, Lincoln and Miller and none of them have any such thing.
I know they exist (or at least did years ago) from the one that I used where I used to work. I looked up that company and they are no longer in business, but I do know it came from Canada.... any help from our friends to the North on this one????

Any help or leads are greatly appreciated more than you know!!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I don't have a clue about that one..I can tell you though that I have owned a Lincoln for over ten years and it has given me good service..

I find that having the infinite adjustments of wire speed and heat help a lot when welding sheet metal to get the bead "just right"

Just my take..

Sam
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

That may seem to be a good idea making it easier to make adjustments but then maybe not since they are apparently gone. I find machine located controls to be an annoyance but not really a problem, most of the time anyway. On the larger Lincoln welders we used remote current controls because some times the welder would be located a good distance from the feeder and going back to the machine to make an adjustment would be a problem so this does exist on the industrial machines anyway. Making a current adjustment at the machine was a bit annoying when it was on the ground and I was 300' in the air on the end of a dragline boom
Old 02-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Go With A high end 220 volt Name Brand Welder

I can give you my experience with mig welders. I bought a 175 lincoln 220v mig. Used it for a year. It seemed to weld OK. I then upgraded to a Millermatic 210. The difference is like night and day. It welds soooo much better then the 175 does. I don't think it is the brand that made the difference, I believe it is due to the welder being a higher end unit then the one I had before. It is a big difference in price but very much worth it to me since I use it almost every day. Just my experience and opinion. I hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

tmeyer, Careful now you are going to hurt my feelings Just joking, I have been a Lincoln fan for many years and they have been really good to me they have been dependable as can be and did anything I have ever needed. However what you are saying is what usually comes up in these discussions so there must be a good reason for that and that reason is that Miller is a fine outfit! I have used a Miller 210 and it is just as you say about as smooth welding as one could hope for and although brand loyalty is strong here for me I find it extremely hard to find anything negative to say about that Miller, or most any Miller for that matter.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.