Hot Rod Forum banner

Welder for Aluminum

6K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  crussell85 
#1 ·
I recently bought a damaged (large tree fell on it) Aluminum Trailer that will require quite a bit of welding to repair. Primarily 1/4" aluminum, with some 1/8".

I currently have a 110 Volt Lincoln Mig Welder that works good on sheet metal and light guage steel. It can set it up to weld aluminum, but I think it would be limited to perhaps 1/8" and I know I will need a bigger welder for the 1/4" Aluminum. I could borrow a friends Miller 210, w/spoolgun, but I am considering purchasing a bigger welder so I can take my time doing the repair, and have it for other projects later.

I am considering a Hobart Handler 210 with Spoolgun from Northern Tool ($890 delivered) Would this be good unit for welding 1/4" aluminum? Is this a bigger unit than I need, or is it not big enough?

No professional use, but I do some fabricating, from time to time. Any other welder that you would reccomend over the Hobart Handler 210? If so, why? Any better deals that you are aware of?

Thanks, Joel

#27 ·
crussell85 said:
what engine is it?
702 GMC, used for industrial and BIG truck stuff way back when.

Had the most RETARTED distributor ever made, and they didnt make much power at all. a 366 would outpull one of them in a dump/grain truck.

Where are they finding good blocks? i thought they were all about used up?

Sorry for discussing something other than welders on this thread :D

#28 ·
BigRoy1978 said:
702 GMC, used for industrial and BIG truck stuff way back when.

Had the most RETARTED distributor ever made, and they didnt make much power at all. a 366 would outpull one of them in a dump/grain truck.

Where are they finding good blocks? i thought they were all about used up?

Sorry for discussing something other than welders on this thread :D
I'm just helping a friend who is thinking right now. The guy at thunderv12 has been collecting them for some time. here are some specific hot rod applications which would be really neat; Chord type cars, COE trucks, etc. Nothing like a 2k rpm burn out.

#29 ·
1971BB427 said:
Afraid I'll have to disagree with you. The company I retired from did welder repair for Miller/Hobart, and they are built by Miller.
Please don't start this broken record again. Miller and Hobart are both brand names not manufacturers. They are both built by the same company using a lot of the same parts due to cost of making separate parts for each welder. If you use the search feature on the home page there will be many posts on this subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.