Welder question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I would love to paint my karts Ray, But I am not a very good painter though, And I have no paint equipment at all. And New Interiors, I would love to get a 220 but as I said, My girlfriends grandparents don't have a 220 in their garage and I don't think they would be too keen on getting it rewired. I was looking at the Hobart Handler 210MVP and it uses BOTH 115 and 230, So I could switch between them if I could get her grandparents to consider getting the plug in the garage. Would that be a good welder to use for everything, Or would it still not be the same as a dedicated 220 welder? Here is a link: FREE SHIPPING — Hobart Handler 210MVP (Multi-Voltage Plug) 115V/230V Flux Cored/MIG Welder — 140/210 Amp Output, Model# 500553 | Wirefeed Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Oh Well, it was just a thought, if you ever change your mind, let me know, like I said, always happy to help.

Ray
Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

extension cord ?

In the 50"s my step dad bought a 220 ac welder so my brother and I could repair our farm machinery. Before we could get the blacksmith shop on the ranch rewired, I made up a heavy duty extension cord, unpluged the electric stove and had to run it out the folks bedroom window, we didn't have to repair much machinery but used it a lot when building an Olds powered 36 chevy coupe, an olds drive train in a 31 chrysler roadster, a couple T buckets .
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc-Angel View Post
I would love to paint my karts Ray, But I am not a very good painter though, And I have no paint equipment at all. And New Interiors, I would love to get a 220 but as I said, My girlfriends grandparents don't have a 220 in their garage and I don't think they would be too keen on getting it rewired. I was looking at the Hobart Handler 210MVP and it uses BOTH 115 and 230, So I could switch between them if I could get her grandparents to consider getting the plug in the garage. Would that be a good welder to use for everything, Or would it still not be the same as a dedicated 220 welder? Here is a link: FREE SHIPPING — Hobart Handler 210MVP (Multi-Voltage Plug) 115V/230V Flux Cored/MIG Welder — 140/210 Amp Output, Model# 500553 | Wirefeed Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment
That should work fine for you.. The good thing is you can upgrade to the spool gun for Alum... If you can't buy a spool gun for any machine to upgrade later,, Pass on it...That gun works great for welding ALUM.... What happens with a reg welder trying to weld ALUM.. Is you have to feed that very small and soft ALUM wire through a 10 foot wipe and it will bird nest every time...The spool gun you only feeding it about 6''... Keep that in mine when your looking...
Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 PM

Yeah, I saw that about the spool gun aswell. Northern also has a 140 welder that can use the gun aswell, It has some pretty positive reviews about it and is only $350. It is very tempting, But after looking at the Hobart version of it for $498, I like the Hobart one better. It has an Industrial Cast Aluminum feeding mechanism and the ground clamp looks alot better/stronger, It does not look like a cheap jumper cable clamp like the others. My Budget is really no more than $500, But I might try to sell one of my guns to get the Hobart 210MVP. Will the 210MVP be good for welding car frames aswell?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

Sure the 210 Hobart is a hell of a welder, before you buy though you might look at your local paper and Craigslist, I've seen some pretty good deals on 220 v mig outfits. Just make sure you take someone with you .....if possible that knows welders. I bought a Hobart 187 a couple of yrs. ago on sale from Tractor supply for $585, with the argon tank this thing will weld just about anything I need. Do a lot of shopping before you pull the trigger......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1933.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	781.2 KB
ID:	76270  
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM

I have been looking at Craigslist, Really nothing around me but stick welders and generator/welder combo's. I've seen a guy trying to sell a Lincoln 225-s For $100 MORE than what it costs new... And I don't really trust eBay either, Too many bad experiences there.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 AM

Well, I bought a welder today.... Not quite the one I wanted though, It's a Lincoln Pro-Core 125. I wanted to get a higher-end model, But due to a "Financial Situation" *Cough-girlfriend complaining-Cough*... So I stopped by Lowes and they had it on sale for $377 and it was the best that was priced "In the budget". Would I be able to do go-karts with this still? Here is a link to it: Shop Lincoln Electric 120-Volt Flux-Cored Wire Feed Welder at Lowes.com
Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 AM

I am not an experienced welder, so I took a class and they showed us how to use various welders. My input is this:

- In my case it took a lot longer to learn how to use a stick welder, maybe because I was welding thicker material (I practiced with 1/2"). Since I did not have good technique it also required quite a bit of grinding to clean the welds when I was done. It would take me quite a while to get good with a stick welder.
- MIG (large Miller with gas) took a short while to learn technique, but once you got the settings right it was the easiest welder to use for anything up to about 1/4". I tried various material gauges and was able to get quite consistent results. With a little practice I also had a fairly clean weld when I got done. Thicker materials took more juice, but welding was not that hard.
- I also tried using an oxy-acetylene torch to cut off metal and to make some minor repairs, and I was surprised that it was fairly easy to get the technique. My repair practice was welding some braces back on a cattle feeder, so it wasn't precision work, but the torch worked well.

The welder from Lowes may be a good value when its on sale, but I think I'd hold out for a small MIG welder. If you are building go-carts you are going to be doing quite a few welds of tubing at varying angles. I think a small MIG would be much easier to work with.

Bruce
Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 AM

So, Do you think I should take the welder back? I have not even opened it yet. I could try to get another higher-end model, But I would be sleeping on the couch for a week, lol. I would like to get one with MIG possibilities, But I would not be able to use it for awhile though, The only other model with MIG capabilities that is in my price range as of now, Is the Northern Tool MIG 140I, It is $350 and can be converted to use MIG gas and also a Spool Gun to weld aluminum. But I don't know if it is a good welder or not, The reviews are good, But it is not a name brand though so I don't know if it is good quality or cheap.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Before I saw that you already bought one, I was going to suggest looking into dual-voltage models - Miller makes one, model 211 if I remember correctly, that can be run as a 110v, and with a plug they provide use it for 220v. It's more money that what you have spent so it may be out of your preferred range.
Eastwood also has a line of MIGs that are very reasonable and I've been told they use the same consumables as Miller/Hobart.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

I'am lucky

The last 4 pieces of welding equipment I found used on Craigslist or KSL classified for 20-35% of the new cost and I told the the seller to have them hooked up and running when I got there. And my wife always asks is that really what you want or should I look for a new one. But we have businesses that we use our equipment at, Farming, construction, rental property, products for fish bait. the flip side is I don't have much Hobby time.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:14 PM

I am going to take back the Lincoln I just bought, I am going to save up some money for a bit and get a bigger/better one. Does anybody have any suggestions on one to get, Maybe around $1,200? It would have to be a pretty decent one, I would need it to build a car frame aswell as the body panels too. How hard is it to install a 220 plug and maybe upgrade the breaker to 30 amps? Could I do this myself, Or would it be best left to a pro? Again thanks for all your help guys.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

If you don't know how to open up the breaker box and put in a new breaker, it's best left to a pro
You could use a marine 30/50A reverse Y adapter which takes 2 30a circuits and combines them into a 50A 220v circuit. The caveat is you need 2 seperate circuits ( run off different breakers ) and the adapter costs about $400..

That said, if go karts are what your planning to build. A 110v Arc welder will do well. use 6013 3/32" rod and it makes a versatile structural welder. A 110V arc could also do structural welding to a car frame.. I personally use an old Lincoln Tombstone for structural welds. It's a 220V system, but only costs like $225 new and the one I use is 40 years old
Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 AM

If it is as simple as popping in a new breaker and not having to go through a bunch of wiring, Than I can do that. I know how to open the breaker box and look for tripped breakers and stuff, I have done that many times, I just did not know if it was just as simple as replacing one, Or if I would have to do some wiring in the breaker box. The reason I said anything about go karts is that is what I am planning to learn with, I may build a couple of them to get myself familiar with welding structural load bearing frames, But my ultimate goal is to build my own car. I have always wanted to build my own car for as long as I can remember, When I was little my favorite toy, Was a roll of aluminum foil.... Seriously. I would build cars, Motorcycles airplanes etc. with it. I have always loved to build and make things ever since I gained to coordination to do so. And I have always loved cars aswell, So it just seemed right for me to combine the two, Building my own Car! It is the number one thing I want to do before I die.

Tags
best welder, frame, welder

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.