Welders - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 12:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Welders

I'm researching purchase of a Lincoln SP-175 Plus or a MillerMatic 175 MIG welder. I'm seeing prices on the Internet of about $690 to $750 without a cart or gas bottle. Any recommendations for a better price? Thanks.
jor

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

That seems to be about the going range..check with your local welding supplier as those guys will sometimes match the internet price and you will need to have a good relation with the local guy for your gas and consumables..

Sam
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Exactly what OMT said and I might add that establishing a good relation with the local dealer may even be worth spending a few extra dollars if you need service in the future.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

As said go local.

But just to add I have been extremely happy with the 175 Lincoln, great tool. Keep to the big names for parts in the future,and service.

John
Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 AM

Last photo:

Well, going local sounds like good advice. I had planned on ordering one online but I think I'll look around here (Tucson) and see what I can come up with. Thanks.A friend of my daughter's has a Lincoln 175 Plus and recommends that one and I have seen quite a few references here to the MillerMatic. I have 240v in my garage so I can go with a 240v machine. Thanks to all.
jor
Old 11-17-2006, 08:21 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor
Well, going local sounds like good advice. I had planned on ordering one online but I think I'll look around here (Tucson) and see what I can come up with. Thanks.A friend of my daughter's has a Lincoln 175 Plus and recommends that one and I have seen quite a few references here to the MillerMatic. I have 240v in my garage so I can go with a 240v machine. Thanks to all.
jor
Dollar for Dollar - go with the Miller. Better quality parts on the circuit boards and controls.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

The Lincoln-Miller debate is the Ford-Chevy debate with a different cover. I personally favor Lincoln because I owned and used Lincoln in my weld shop(along with Miller and Hobart also) for over thirty years and they never once let me down, Lincoln builds great welders. Now having said that there is no doubt the Miller is second to no one and is a first class machine and very popular for a darn good reason, either way you are going to get top notch equipment.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:09 AM

Last journal entry: 500" roller motor for the coupe
Last photo:

Lincoln 175 for me and I love it. Does everything I need and more. I've still got an old 225 buzz box to it it never let me down so I stuck with Lincoln. Miller is super nice as well so you really cant go wrong with either.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Rork, is that the 175 Plus or 175?
jor
Old 11-19-2006, 12:45 PM

Last journal entry: 500" roller motor for the coupe
Last photo:

I was torn between the T and the Plus and ended up with the T. To date I've done some chassis work, sheetmetal work, and misc. general welding and have found the T to be just fine. No complaints whatsoever and I really like that in a pinch I can find consumables at HomeDepot and Lowes. The only local welding supply store isnt open on weekends and I have a hard time getting off work and making it to them before they close so it's nice to be able to run down the street to HomeDepot.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

which helmet?

Iv'e seen helmets go for 29.95 to 300.00, and this is only a hobby to me so what darkness rating should I look for when buying a welding helmet? Also I've heard the best 110v welder is Hobart 140 or Millermatic 135. I need suggestions because I am getting ready to buy! Thanks, Dana
Old 12-05-2006, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

I really have the same question on the helmet (self darkening). Re the welder, I ended up with he MillerMatic 175 in that I have 240v in my garage. Otherwise I think I would have gone with the Miller 135. It was really pretty much of a toss up to me between the Miller and the Lincoln. I didn't look at any Hobarts but my reading indicates their quality is on par with the others. Good luck and I hope someone posts on the helmet recommendation.
jor
Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39chevy
Iv'e seen helmets go for 29.95 to 300.00, and this is only a hobby to me so what darkness rating should I look for when buying a welding helmet? Also I've heard the best 110v welder is Hobart 140 or Millermatic 135. I need suggestions because I am getting ready to buy! Thanks, Dana
Helmet

If you are just mig welding the lower end helmets will do nicely. If you're doing other types of welding you'd probably want a higher end one.

I bought my autodark helmet from HF for $50.00 'normally 100.00'.

My biggest suggestion is don't buy one online! NOT unless you go try it on for fit, open and close it, move around a little like you're working on something. There's nothing worse than an Ill-Fitting helmet no matter what the price.

Welder

Miller 135

I bought one 2 years ago and have abused the heck out of it and never had a problem. My friend who has owned a body shop for 25+ years, he liked it so well he bought one for his shop. They're hard to beat for welding sheet metal.

Basically most of the mid priced welders are pretty close. If you get a chance what you want to compare is the electronics, and the rollers and drive areas. I thought the Miller had a little better parts in these areas than the Hobart, didn't look at a Lincoln so can't comment on those.

Also take look at the business end of the the welding the hand grip, tip and nozzle - to see the quality of parts there as well. If I were to criticize my Miller 135 it would be that I would prefer a beefier components in this area - but the stock one has held up so far.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

I have used that HF hood and it is a good one, they are on sale now for $49.95. The shade is adjustable from #9-#13 and the shade time is about 20/000 of a second. About 5 years ago I bought a Hobart model called "The Hood" for $199.99 and a year or so later I was looking at the HF hood and guess what, it had the same identical "Chameleon" lens in it as the Hobart at 4 times the price The shell and head gear was different but the electrics were EXACTLY the same thing! The newer Hobarts have a different lens now than they used then but so does the HF hood and I would not be at all surprised to find it the same as the newer Hobart but I don't know if that is true now or not. Anyway I have tried the HF hood and the shell and head gear are not bad at all and the lens worked as well as any I have used.

Just an added note here, don't believe all those horror stories you will hear about people burning their eyes because one of those hoods failed to darken because the UV protection is 100% even when in the light mode. This means that even though it may be a bit un-nerving and somewhat uncomfortable when it fails to darken on occasion it will not cause any harm and is nothing to worry about.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Thanks alot guys for the great INFO, I'm off to spend More Money, (it never ends) Dana

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.