Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Welders
Thread: Welders
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39chevy
Iv'e seen helmets go for 29.95 to 300.00, and this is only a hobby to me so what darkness rating should I look for when buying a welding helmet? Also I've heard the best 110v welder is Hobart 140 or Millermatic 135. I need suggestions because I am getting ready to buy! Thanks, Dana
Helmet

If you are just mig welding the lower end helmets will do nicely. If you're doing other types of welding you'd probably want a higher end one.

I bought my autodark helmet from HF for $50.00 'normally 100.00'.

My biggest suggestion is don't buy one online! NOT unless you go try it on for fit, open and close it, move around a little like you're working on something. There's nothing worse than an Ill-Fitting helmet no matter what the price.

Welder

Miller 135

I bought one 2 years ago and have abused the heck out of it and never had a problem. My friend who has owned a body shop for 25+ years, he liked it so well he bought one for his shop. They're hard to beat for welding sheet metal.

Basically most of the mid priced welders are pretty close. If you get a chance what you want to compare is the electronics, and the rollers and drive areas. I thought the Miller had a little better parts in these areas than the Hobart, didn't look at a Lincoln so can't comment on those.

Also take look at the business end of the the welding the hand grip, tip and nozzle - to see the quality of parts there as well. If I were to criticize my Miller 135 it would be that I would prefer a beefier components in this area - but the stock one has held up so far.