Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Welders
Thread: Welders
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 09:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have used that HF hood and it is a good one, they are on sale now for $49.95. The shade is adjustable from #9-#13 and the shade time is about 20/000 of a second. About 5 years ago I bought a Hobart model called "The Hood" for $199.99 and a year or so later I was looking at the HF hood and guess what, it had the same identical "Chameleon" lens in it as the Hobart at 4 times the price The shell and head gear was different but the electrics were EXACTLY the same thing! The newer Hobarts have a different lens now than they used then but so does the HF hood and I would not be at all surprised to find it the same as the newer Hobart but I don't know if that is true now or not. Anyway I have tried the HF hood and the shell and head gear are not bad at all and the lens worked as well as any I have used.

Just an added note here, don't believe all those horror stories you will hear about people burning their eyes because one of those hoods failed to darken because the UV protection is 100% even when in the light mode. This means that even though it may be a bit un-nerving and somewhat uncomfortable when it fails to darken on occasion it will not cause any harm and is nothing to worry about.