welding advice please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 AM

Last journal entry: Better late than never
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

welding advice please

So I am welding my engine mounts and there is a 45 degree angle where two pieces meet. Can anyone enlighten me as how I am supposed to get my welder into the tight 45 degree corner? Is there some narrow attachment available?

I have welded the outside face of the corner but the internal one has me scratching my head!

Hopefully this image makes it clear although that is more than 45 degrees and so doesn't show the corner as being as tight as it really is.

Thanks,
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	36095  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Most rodders add a brace to the mount to make it stronger

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The gusset as Deuce says is an excellent thing.....You should be able to get in there with a stick welder......

Budget RVs
Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Welding with MIG I assume? As Poncho said a stick welder would get in there but you may not be very pleased with the appearance but of course this would depend a great deal on the rod you choose. A 7018 would make a good sound weld but would be a bit tricky to keep down spatter and under-cutting, a 7014 might look better but it would be tricky about getting proper penetration. If you use stick try different types and settings on scrap pieces of the same thickness and set at the same angle.

If you are using MIG and decide to finish with that I would suggest also setting up some similar scrap pieces and refine your method before attempting the final weld. Set the welder fairly hot and adjust the feed accordingly so that it makes a decent weld with more than usual "stick-out" and use a drag type angle in this case. Be sure the part to be welded is properly pre-heated to around 400 deg or so (just too hot to touch with your bare hand), or in this case even a little hotter might be better, and block off the end of the weld that the nozzle will be pointing to in order retain as much of the shielding gas around the puddle as possible. These steps (especially the pre-heat due to the much longer than usual wire stick-out) will go a long way in helping to assure a strong weld and will make for a much better appearance also. If you use an anti-spatter spray keep it light in this case and clean it off the immediate area of the weld bead. Blocking the end of the weld you will welding away from tends to keep the gas over the puddle where leaving both ends open in a tight situation like this can "funnel" the gas away and cause air to be drawn in behind it, not likely to cause porosity except in extreme cases but it can make a difference so I would not skip this step. Also as the other guys said that gusset is a REALLY good idea!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Last journal entry: Better late than never
Last photo:

Thanks for the response guys. I maybe wasn't quite clear but the orientation of the two pieces is different from that shown in the image above. I have other pieces acting as braces but am for now trying to get these two welded together.

I will have a try this weekend and report back!

Paul

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.