Welding Chrome Moly - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Welding Chrome Moly

I just figured out that my new race car has a .095 Chrome Moly chassis. This is good because they are light yet really stiff and resistant to cracking. Now for the problem. I've never welded Chrome moly before and I hear it's a little different to weld on than the tubing I'm used too. I need to lower the top door bar two inches for Tech. Since this is a driver health concern I don't want to go into this without Some knowledge of welding this stuff. I hope someone can explain what I gotta do to keep form being killed should I get hit, or should I say, when, I take hit in the drivers door.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You can use mild steel welding rod if you aren't going to heat treat the assy later. The weld must be done with TIG or gas, I prefer TIG but gas is easier to do. If the original welds are 4130 you are going to have to weld with 4130 rods and post heat treat with a torch. This is a specific process and the metal must be polished in between welding and heat treat with the flame so you can see the color change. You must weld 4130 indoors or in a heated area with still air, the cool down phase is important too.

It is important to find out if your frame was welded with 4130 rod or mild steel, many cars are 1010 mild steel welds but all aircraft frames are 4130 welds. Ultimate weld strength doubles with 4130 welds done on 4130 tubing with proper post weld heat treat compared to mild steel. The heat treat is easy to do, you only need an Oxy/Acetylene torch and big tip. Consult your welding rod supplier for specific temps and heat treat times at temp.

Racing regs vary widely on what is recommended but for the drivers cage do the welds with 4130 weld rod and do the heat treat, it might save his life.

Here are some resources but any welders supply has the rods you need, I like Certanium Alloys made by "Premier" but I couldn't find a link online...sorry.

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/kits_4130.html
Old 03-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Thanks Chuck for the information. Due to my inexperience with welding rod/Oxy technique I think I'll be farming out the work to a competent shop. It's currently not known what kind of moly the cage is from. I don't believe all of it is either. It's expensive stuff to be constructing an entire car from it. I'm trying to find the original builder. I'd love to learn and practice but not on door bars. Steve Payne hit a guy last year in the door. The door bar broke and stabbed the spun driver through the gut. Not a pretty sight. There are several welding shops in this area so no doubt in finding one who won't charge an arm and a leg.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I found the original builder he say's the car was made from 4130 and completely MIG welded. Now This goes back to what I thought I knew about 4130. If it's pre heated with a smokeless flame and slow cooling of the joint the carbon will not build up as easily and make the parent metal brittle next to the bead. According to the builder, it's a much bigger problem in aircraft because the walls are thinner, .030 to .050 instead of the race cars needing .095 to .120. The joint don't cool as fast. Now who is right???? Welcome any comment's.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:36 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Try Lincoln welding or Miller's websites. Go to FAQ sections or ask them. I'm sure they have had the question a ton of times.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

welding "moly"

Having built a bunch of moly frame race cars and welded on a lot more and made a good living at one time TIG welding I think that trying to "heat treat" by eyeball with a torch is just a guess at best. Keep in mind that real heat treating is done in a very controled situation...ie even heating and cooling , very precisely monitored temperatures and sometimes a controled atmosphere just to name a few things that happen.. Probably the best you can do is to preheat to some temp that is too hot to hold but not hot enough to boil spit. This will take the chill off cold metal but in reality it will only be about 50 to 75 degrees over a cool garage temp. ( 140 deg F is dam hot). A light sanding of the joint parts with a fresh disc will give you a clean weld area and a quick wipe down with acetone will get rid of most of the oil from your hands. There are several good books at the book store...Performance welding is one. Read them. Most of the hotrod welding is .060 to .188 thickness with 1/4" material being a bit uncommon e xcept the street rods. Welding thin to thick (.060 to .25) I would grind it clean, preheat a bit and have at it. Be sure you use the post flow gas to cool the weld so it cools in an inert atmosphere. Welding is a bit of an art form and it does require a steady hand. Good luck
Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Thanks all
Old 04-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you wanted to get scientific you can use temp sticks to determine what your heat treat temp is. Many aircraft tube frames are field repaired in this manner.

Good Luck Johnsongrass.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

It was MIG welded? I have always been told that will not last on race cars either. I have a friend who does some chassis fab including full moly rail cars. He says that MIG welds on moly tube will break......might hold for a while, but not too long.

Just what I was told.

Chris
Old 04-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/bhweld1.html.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

TurboS10...Yep that's what he said. Say's he does them all that way. Two of his cars are still winning out of the six he's built. I've always thought the same as you. He wouldn't tell me what he secret was.

Chucky...Saw the same article before. Good reading. Although it does say you can weld chrome moly with a MIG the author doesn't really explain the details well. He only say's that heating after the MIG weld would be a better idea to normalize the carbon. I still like to see someone. I think I'm, gonna post a few pics of the welds. So someone can see what I'm referring to.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.