Welding equipment trailer I'm building - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Welding equipment trailer I'm building

Just thought I'd post up a few pics of what I got done between last weekend & this weekend - trailer is based off of a '95 Ram 1500 LWB

Still "under construction", Not quite road-ready yet, still gotta:
- weld seams where frame rails were notched to be bent in
- add jack in front
- Find a couple of taillights for it (others were sold before I got the truck)
- wire in a 4-pin connector for hooking up to tow vehicle
- get registered so I can take it on the roads
- Weld in some threaded steel plates to secure ranger down.
- weld in oxy/acetyl/argon tank mounts & securing mechanism
- weld in some toolboxes for holding torch, regs, plasma cutter, etc
- fire extinguisher, electrode case holder, wire boxes/holders
- going to put some 1000W lights on the back of the trailer for working at night
- remove the vapor canister from the side of the frame, cap vent holes in gas tank, add hose for filling & switch for turning on fuel pump for additional fuel carrying capacity

Here's a pic of the ranger in the back of the trailer. With the ranger about 1.5' back from the front of the bed weight distribution is about 50/50, so moving it all the way forward with some additional toolboxes on the back should put it close to where it should be. As is, at least I can move it around the farm easily behind a truck or tractor.

"ranger" is a Kubota 22.5 HP 3-cyl diesel, 250A CC/CV/AC/DC & 10kw generator with 120/240v taps. I've got an LN-8 feeder & tweco 250A gun for MIG, stick cables & a weldcraft tig torch & miller HF unit for doing tig work. This trailer is going to be my mobile workshop for doing jobs...I've already gotten a few jobs welding together demo derby cars for $30/hr plus gas/consumable money, working out of a truck...this will be more permanent.

Edit: I'm 20 years old. This is a hobby bordering on obsession.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 06:42 AM

Last photo:

Just one question, Why on earth did you NOT REMOVE that gas tank before welding so close to it? I have been welding in the mining industry for over 30 years and I have seen several explosions involving injury and one fatality. Two of these involved gas tanks and the fatal one was a diesel tank(yes they CAN explode!)

Be careful when welding around tanks of ANY kind.

BTW good choice of equipment, I have seen those LN 7/8 outfits running trouble free for years outside in rain, snow, dust, you name it seems like you just can't make one quit no matter what and that Ranger is as tough as nails, best out there IMO
Old 10-26-2005, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Just one question, Why on earth did you NOT REMOVE that gas tank before welding so close to it? I have been welding in the mining industry for over 30 years and I have seen several explosions involving injury and one fatality. Two of these involved gas tanks and the fatal one was a diesel tank(yes they CAN explode!)
Gas tank was full of gas when I was welding next to it (gas burns, vapor explodes), and its being used in the final design to store additional fuel for jobs (most likely for the tow vehicle, the ranger runs forever on a few gallons of diesel)

Quote:
Be careful when welding around tanks of ANY kind.

BTW good choice of equipment, I have seen those LN 7/8 outfits running trouble free for years outside in rain, snow, dust, you name it seems like you just can't make one quit no matter what and that Ranger is as tough as nails, best out there IMO
Old 10-26-2005, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Not trying to argue here but a full tank is saf-ER than an empty tank but it is not actually safe unless full of something non-flammable such as water. One incident I spoke of occurred in middlesboro ky back in 1980 and burned a F600 ford truck to the ground along with about $15,000 in equipment because of a fire started while welding near a full tank that the guy had filled to make it "safe". Also the fatality I mentioned was caused by the very common and extremely dangerous myth that purging a tank with engine exhaust makes it safe. I hope I did'nt offend you it is just that in my line of work I have seen some very unpleasant things because of accidents that have occurred over the last 30 or so years almost all of which were entirely preventable. Most of the burn injuries incurred were from fuel tanks or drums and in each case the victim was sure he was safe and in most cases it was something he had done before. In my shop when we have to weld near a gas tank it is usually not practical to remove so it is normally purged with Nitrogen or Carbon Dioxide (C/25 MIG gas works good also)

I wish you the best of luck with your welding business it has worked very well for me and I am sure it can for you also

Last edited by oldred; 11-01-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.