Hot Rod Forum banner

Welding on fenders ?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
:confused:I have a 1952 GMC restro mod. I'm thinking about welding on the rear fenders and filling the joint. How should I treat the bedsides and fenders to help prevent rust either before or after fenders are mounted? It will be difficult to smooth the welds in this area. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

#3 ·
just remember weld thru primer should only be where two pieces meet. There's no need for it in spots where you can later address with something else to prevent rust, which means the best way is to mask off areas y ou don't want it to be and make sure it's nowhere primer will later be.

#4 · (Edited)
I have to tell you, that is a CRAZY mod that I highly recommend against. The bed is perfectly flat, to weld that fender in and then keep everything flat on the inside especially, you are asking a LOT.

Welding the fender up against that large flat panel goes against about every "rule" in metal fab, it just doesn't work well. The panel will flex, the way the fender mounts to the bed, supported by the running board the bed and the fender move differently, thus there can be some real problems if they are welded and moulded into the bed side.

Is it possible, of course, but I am telling you this because if you are asking..........I am thinking this may be too much for you. But if you decide to go ahead, wait until you are into the project further before you do it for a few reasons, one you may decide it's not what you really want to do, the second would be you have learned through the other welding you will likely need on patch panels and what not to have more experience to tackle this mod.

Brian

#6 ·
You could bond it on but honestly, this isn't a thing you want to do. The bonding would "hold" the fender on, and seal out moisture but it would also be impossible to mould the fender into the bed as anything you put there would crack. The fender and the bed move differently.

Brian

#12 ·
While I didn't use any welting on my '31, I did put some thin plastic anti squeak tape (from McMaster-Carr) between the rear fenders and body. I used a 2 sided 3m tape that I got from the local Michael's craft shop that's known as ---- ready for this --- 'snot' by scrap book makers to hold it in place and not add any appreciable thickness: 3M Adhesive Tape Adhesive "SNOT" Transfer Tape 1/2" | TapeOnline.com

Good choice about not welding on those fenders - some work out well, others not so nice with cracking either at the weld or in the heat affected zone an inch or so away from where it was welded - those big ol' fenders do flop a little bit in the wind

Dave W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.