Welding frame, how to protect computer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2004, 05:00 PM

Last journal entry: Padded Dash Reupholstered
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Welding frame, how to protect computer?

I need to do some welding on my car frame near the rear bumper. What if anything do I need to do to protect the car computer? I'm using an electric arc welder. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Last photo:

If you really want to be safe, completely disconnect the computer from it's harness. Some will say that you cannot hurt it, but I have heard some horror stories.

Vince
Old 06-29-2004, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Computer

[color=lightblue]Doc here:

You Can in Fact damage the Computer by leaving it in the Car while Welding. Unplug and Remove it.

The reason for this is the Frequency of the Welder Destroys Static Charged Chips inside it. Does not require Direct Connection To the Computer at all. The Static Running back through the Grounds and up the wires will do a very good job of turning your Computer into a $300 flower pot.

The Computers are well buffered against this, and are rugged, but a Welder is a formidable blast on MOS / CMOS technology.

I Would also beware of any High End Audio / Video Equipment Inside the Car too... Same technology applies...

Depending on the age, and Technology of the equipment involved, Microprocessor's, Ram and the ROM
(or Instruction Cycles for the Microprocessor, Chipset)

Are usually Static (MOS / Cmos /Hmos) .. or Electronic
(Or way older versions) Light / Electronic Programmable.

They Can Lose the program with a Static blast and the Microprocessor and Chipset Has no instruction set to tell it how to run.

These were actually Designed to do this under Controlled Circumstances and are Called PROM's, EPROM's, EEPORM's, EARPROM's or Programmable Read Only Memory...The Instruction Set can be "Burned" in to the prom to make the Computer do what you want it to do per Cycle. I.E. "On Each cycle Check and Compare, Oxy Sensor, TPS, EGR, Tempeture... Run Cycle again"

These usually have a pin on the Chip that a voltage is applied to "Open " the memory Bubbles inside the Chip, Each Data Bit of Instruction is "Attached" to a Bubble and assigned an address, Then the Voltage at the programming pin is removed or tied low (Ground) and the "Bubbles" retain the Data Bits and are Closed. These Chips are Static in Nature. Handling the Chips with just the Static from your Hair, or Clothes can burn them out, actually Burn holes in the planar inside the chip...So you can see what a welder might do to one..

Doc
[/color]
Old 07-06-2004, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

Wow, I'm glad I asked before I went ahead and started welding. Thanks for the information.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.