welding gas cylinder - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 12:04 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bought my 80 bottle at my local Praxair for $140. Plus they sold it to me full . Nice guys they are. A refill will run about $45. They said they don't like to see "other" bottles come in. So I went with them. If you buy the bottle off ebay you might have a problem filling in, plus add in the cost of shipping it. It would be cheaper to just by from the local guy who will be filling it for you. But that is my 2 cents. I use Argon/CO2 75/25 mix.

By the way to lease a tank was $75 a year.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

A few years back I checked with a local welding supply house on getting tanks filled. For me to buy a used one from someone, then pay to have it cleaned and tested, it was more than to buy the tank from them. I'd hate to pay the shipping on one of those things. I doubt that you could ship it thru UPS or FEDEX.

Aaron
Old 05-11-2006, 03:13 AM

gas bottles

since you aren't planning on doing aerospace welding, standard commercial gas should be ok. c25 is the standard for mild steel, straight argon for aluminum, and tri-mix for stainless. straight co2 can be used for mild steeel, but c25 makes a nicer weld in most machines. SOME machines actually have a modified waveform that is designed to run straight co2. i had a miller that had that feature. now for the part you were waiting for:
the reason it's hard to get gas bottles filled that you didn't buy from a dealer is that there is a $10,000.00 fine to the welding supply if they fill another companies bottle. it's up to you to prove ownership, so if you buy a bottle, it needs to have a clean neck ring. for the good news, all small bottles up to about 2 feet tall are ownership bottles. (at least in Ca. this was done about 20 years ago. all welding supply's took the small bottles out of the rental fleets and only sell them now. if you can find one of these small bottles used, even if it is stamped, it is still considered a customer owned cylinder. also i used to buy old broken co2 fire extinguishers for 5 bucks, about 15 years ago i could get them certified,re-valved and filled for 30 bucks, so i had 35 bucks into a 65 dollar cylinder plus it was full! find a local fire extinguisher company that actually fills thier own co2 bottles and does thier own certifications and see if they can fix you up. if you can run straight co2, the fire ext. company should be about 1/2 of the cost from the welding supply. Doug
Old 07-17-2006, 07:12 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Ok guys, I know its been awhile but I got my bottle today! I found an Airgas company down the road and they sold me a lil 20cf (i think) bottle used & filled for $89 bucks! That seemed a lil high but whatever. Now there are welding parts and pieces everwhere all over my living room! I need to get it all set up! I have many questions. First off.. I really want to mig some aluminum. I want to fab up a carb adapter for a 671 blower! Will my gas (75%argon 25%co2) work for aluminum? I know pure argon is best but will this work ok? What else do I need to do to mig aluminum besides change the wire? Oh and do I need to change the factory liner in the hose to mig? My welder is a Lincoin pro core 100. It was just a flux core welder until I converted it. The kit came with a liner anyway.. Any pitfalls or tips on mig welding aluminum you guys might know I would love to hear. Otherwise its trial and error for me. I will probably blow my self up somehow!

Last edited by weirdbeard; 07-17-2006 at 07:16 PM. Reason: I wanted to add something with a lil class! Yeah!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:14 PM
russlaferrera

Last wiki edit: Threading tips
Wiki Edits: 2

gas bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
You might have trouble getting your bottle filled if you do not buy it from the welding supply where you intend to buy your gas. They do not like to fill bottles that they are not sure of and could charge you for testing and certification of the bottle. Call your local welding supply and they can give you the price. I bought my bottle from my welding supply and when its empty I exchange it for another one and pay for the contents that way I do not have to leave it to be filled and have to go back to pick it up. For welding steel all you need is 75% Argon/25% C02 mix.
All states have different systems on tank ownership vs leasing. Highrise has it right . Call a gas supplier and inquire on the best was to go. If you weld a little you will most likely get a small tank. Should you run out of gas you will go to the welding supply drop off your tank and Wait a couple of days to get your tank back. Some companies have a 99 year lease A long term lease may be a answer.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

You will need pure Argon for the aluminum and as for the liner if the one you have is plastic/teflon then you are in fine shape there, it probably is.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:47 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

Dang. I wanted to weld some aluminum. The guys at the airgas place did not give me an option for pure argon. So if I use the cr25 it will just make bad/weak welds? Thanks Oldred.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Get you another cylinder for pure argon as well as a regulator and then you can swap back and forth. You will need 100% argon to weld the aluminum.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Unfortunately the C25 will just make a mess so you will need another cylinder. Also when you do get set up for the aluminum you will probably find it a bit hard to get the wire to feed without jamming because it is so soft so you will need to play with the roller tension some and try to keep your welding lead as straight as possible when welding.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Lost in the 60's

What OldRed said......... What I do is use a spool gun on my mig welder when welding aluminum....that way I do not have to change the wire out in my welder and have to try to keep the cable straight and worry about the different tension etc.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

I wish I could buy you guys a beer and sit down with ya and talk awhile. I am very sad I cant weld aluminum with my new gas. Let me get your opinion on this. Is it worth it for me to spend the money on this welder to weld aluminum? Can a mig welder do a good job? HF sells a small tig welder for about $300. Should I just buy one of those for my aluminum welding? Also Henry how much does one of those wire spool guns cost? I like that idea a lot! Do you know if I could get one for my Lincoln? I dont know if all those kinds of parts a universal or not..Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Lost in the 60's

I don't know about a spool gun for your particular welder.......a quick stop at a welding supply store and you can get the answers. I use a Miller and my machine was set up with the provision to plug up a spool gun. I bought my spool gun years ago...don't really remember what it cost but I think it was around 200 bucks...its a miller also. You really get what you pay for when you buy welding equipment....the good stuff is pricy....but it will last you forever if you take care of it. I have been using my stick welder for over 30 years now...about 15 years on my mig welder.

Last edited by Henry Highrise; 07-18-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

The HF TIG will not weld aluminum for that you would need high frequency start, the HF outfit is DC and scratch start. With practice the MIG can do a decent job on aluminum but it will never equal a TIG for versatility and apperance. I have mentioned that HF TIG outfit here before as a friend of mine bought one some time back and had me come over to try it out. While it is not for aluminum that thing worked darn good on steel, at least the one he has, and for the sale price of $199.99 (reg. $299.99) it seems like a very useful machine for welding steel tube, chassis parts etc, but only for steel.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

I am going to look into one of those spool guns for my Lincoln. Maybe I can find something on ebay. Thats really to bad about that lil HF tig welder. I wonder if it could be modified to weld aluminum with a high frequency start? I am going to look into that. I like hotrodding tools as well.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:06 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

I just did my first mig weld guys! I cant believe what a good welder I am! It looks great! I am going to fix all the metal on my car no problem now! I just cant believe the differents between flux core and mig. I am going to get another bottle for aluminum and I am set! I am so thrilled! Thanks for all the help!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.