welding on gas tanks - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 05:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 001mustang
only thing i know is my tank did not explode when he repaired it on that day.

i have too admit...i backed off when i watched him solder my tank.

i did mention not to try this at home.

don't complete the fire triangle...you will die.

The odds are nothing will happen if you play Russian roulette once.

I have said repeatedly it would not happen every time and that's the very reason some people think it is safe, they won't believe it until it's too late! That same thing is the reason a lot of people get hurt doing other things they have done many times before, just because it doesn't happen every time does not make it OK. I wish it was a 100% sure thing for the exhaust to explode, certainly not that I want it to happen to anyone it is just that if it was a certainty then no one would risk doing it in the first place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

Personally ...i hold my bumper when i pump gas to prevent static discharge..not likely i would ever try gas tank repair myself.

as a society..i have a concern in the back of my head that becoming spineless may lead to national decline overtime...thats why forefather statement struck a chord...hope not...back to happy thoughts...
Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Last journal entry: 1974 S&W
Last photo:

Up until the 80s Carbon Tet (Carbon tetrachloride) although no longer available was the norm for for gasoline tank wash outs before welding. There are newer chemicals avilable that replace it, that I won't name. I myself have never heard of purging a fuel tank with exhaust gases to prepare for welding, I have repaired Diesel tanks with fuel in them many times.
I agree tank repair should be left to qualified tank welders.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose.e.sierra
I was reading all the members experiences while welding on fuel tanks and I respect everyones experiences and I am sory about the fatalities and accidents mentioned. However my experience concerning the subject is very simple. I grew up in Puerto Rico and we were very poor. As the Island is sourounded by an ocean, salt is every where around you. Gas tanks ussually rust easy. So been poor we do not have a choice but to weld and patch our tanks. The way I weld without any fear!! is removing the sending unit and making sure the fill tube is open, fill it all the way to the top with water, aply an open flame through the sending unit hole. A very small noise indicates the little fumes left between the water and thevery top of the fuel tank just burned up. No danger at all and most of the times you do not even notice the noise.
At this time you can drain the water and weld all you want or cut it in pieces if you want to dispose it.

Like I said, this is my way of welding on tanks. I have been doing it for 45 years in the auto restoration bussiness without a single incident.
Go to a store that sells dry-ice buy a 2 to 5 pounds depending on size of tank. With tank drained of fuel, put the dry ice in it and wait till a white vapor trails out of the filler pipe. The tank is now full of CO2 and welding will not result in an explosion or fire.

Bogie
Old 03-05-2011, 03:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
Go to a store that sells dry-ice buy a 2 to 5 pounds depending on size of tank. [With tank drained of fuel] , put the dry ice in it and wait till a white vapor trails out of the filler pipe. The tank is now full of CO2 and welding will not result in an explosion or fire.Bogie

Let me add a bit to that if I may, wash the tank out by rinsing with a couple of gallons of (liquid dish detergent) hot soapy water after draining and before adding the dry ice.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

The price of a new or fabricated fuel tank is cheaper than the cost of a funeral. Why bother?

One thing I've found is after one leak is fixed however, another one always pop's up.

How's this for an add, for sale, 380 semi auto rullet pistol, 100 dollars, only fired once.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.