Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Welding Help
Thread: Welding Help
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

reading up on tutorials is the best start then lots of practice. You must get used to the right sound, right wire speed, and right voltage. You can have the right sound and not have everything else right. My rule is the right sound as high as I can go without burning thru. Sheet metal is always quick zaps and after some experience you will find yourself wanting good light to aim at the places with most metal. Like if you lay your initial tacks. You then want to go back to an earlier tack and lay another one overlapping that one. It will not only help you with dissipating heat, it will also leave you with cleaner welds through out and not just a scattered mess. So experience helps you with finding right setting per situation, learning metal characteristics, learning your welder, and getting your style of welding down. Some guys like to weld with one hand and don't care for light. I like a bright light, one hand as a stabilizer, and the other on the trigger, a fresh cut wire, and I just have a bunch of things I do that can only be taught with experience. So reading will give you a good general idea but practicing on old fenders will help lots. Practice on 18 gauge if you plan on doing an old car. It helps to just cut squares out and re weld them in somewhere else, then practice fabricating a patch for the hole you just cut. This practice will help you when you need to make patches. it helps. After a while you will make any patch you want and never have to re cut it but just shave off a little here and there.