Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Welding Help
Thread: Welding Help
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:05 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I agree. probably has a stuttering sound to, right? When you turn the wire speed up up you'll hear the frying bacon sound you want to achieve, but remember, you can achieve that sound every time you turn up your amps as long as you turn up your wire speed too, so it doesn't necessarily mean you are where you want to be, just means it's a good setting for some metal thickness, but maybe not yours. The key is to find the highest you can go with that sound
where it won't burn thru with quick tacks.

To make life easier I have a couple settings I have jotted down...

open butt weld setting

bigger gap open butt weld setting

plug weld setting

3 layer plug weld setting

My plug weld setting is my settings I use to also weld a seam where it's flanged under it or welding the edge of a lapped panel. My bigger gap open butt weld settings is also the settings I use to tack close pinholes where it doesn't call for a patch, if it burns away then I determine the metal is weak and need a patch. My 3 layer plug weld settings is also my settings for welding 16 gauge lapped for brackets and what not, or a plug weld with 16 gauge.

All these settings are simply a starting point. A lot depends on how straight the line is. If it's not so straight I'll probably have to turn up the wire speed a tad, but I don't sit there and test metal. I already know the welder. I'll sacrifice a tack or two and adjust by sound and what the wire is telling me. If the wire is doing what's happening to yours I need more wire speed. If it's pushing the work away and leaving big wire ends it's too fast. My goal is the flattest puddle I can make with the right sound. This means I must do fast tacks or it will burn thru. Sometimes a slightly slow wire speed will get you the best welds but are inconsistent. The sizzle will give good welds no matter how you move the line around while moving to different welding spots. some welders are also quarky. Some don't work the same every time, mainly old ones. Having a new miller will leave you awesome welds every time.

Last edited by tech69; 02-02-2013 at 12:10 AM.