Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Welding Magnets (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/welding-magnets-76055.html)

sha_ba_do_bang 12-13-2005 08:13 PM

Welding Magnets

Alright, I bought a lot of 25 of those red arrow shaped welding magnets, they are great and I only paid like $20. but being in a fab shop metal shavings and pieces get stuck to them, how can i keep them clean and get the metal off of them? I tried air and that didn't work.

Thanks

Brendan

OneMoreTime 12-13-2005 09:08 PM

I wipe mine off with a rag and sometimes I use a scraper..

OMT

Speedyoldtruckdotcom 12-13-2005 09:48 PM

Use a much stronger magnet (Cobalt or ceramic, you can pick them up at surplus shops) wrapped in a thick canvas rag (anything that isn't very thick will just rip)

astroracer 12-14-2005 09:32 AM

I wipe them with a rag....

oldred 12-14-2005 10:12 AM

Sha, That's an age old question. I usually just use a rag to wipe around them in one direction to bunch up the junk in one spot to make it easier to remove. "There just ain't no easy way"- Seriously a magnet is just that a magnet and there is no way to make it let go of what it is holding unless it is an electro magnet that can be turned off.

TheBasementHotRod 12-14-2005 12:19 PM

What about wrapping them with wax paper and using that shipping tape with threads in it to hold the paper on?
I know it wont help with welding splatter but I would think it would work well for shavings and metal grinding dust...

Dumb idea?

I usually use a rag too...

OneMoreTime 12-14-2005 12:54 PM

Actually a fellow might wish to put his magnets in a sandwich baggy..that way he can just peel of the baggy and have a clean magnet..heavens it just may work..!!!

OMT

oldred 12-14-2005 12:57 PM

Not dumb at all, I have even wrapped them in thin rags before using them so that the junk will be removed when you take the rags off.

Rob Keller 12-14-2005 02:16 PM

I have one of them round magnets on a stick for picking up stuff

(the official fat guys tool)

any how i took a piece of aluminum and made a shield that slides over it with a steel pop rivet to hold it on while its empty

other than that KEEP YOUR MAGNETS AWAY FROM METAL FILINGS :P

SR66 :thumbup:

61bone 12-14-2005 05:15 PM

Anything you put over these will affect their holding power and affect their accuracyplus burned plastic stinks. Use a rag to wipe the crud to one end and pick it off with your fingers. I have a piece of flat strap over my bench I store them on. B :) low the spatter off the iron before you put them on and again before you remove them and place on the strap, not the bench