Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - welding...metal is brittle....any idea why?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Heres how I do it .I dont have any pics of what it looks like so I'll do my best.
using a scrap piece of similar metal,in this case the old roof. pick any heat setting lets say 3 set the nozzel on the work and without looking,pull the trigger and starting with the wire speed low (say 2)turn the speed up until it sounds something like an egg frying then repete again in a fresh spot ,welding one spot and not moving,look at the weld ,If its a piled up it needs to go hotter if it burns through it needs to be cooler.keep doing it untill you get a weld as close to the surface as you can get it without burning through (like a pancake)....every time you change your heat setting the wire speed needs an adjustment too it should always sound like eggs frying .....good welds need little grinding...when you weld in a patch just weld one spot at a time and let it cool you alternate your welded spots like you torque a head...When you do a butt weld with sheet metal you need lots of heat and one short flick of the trigger ,the weld should be all the way through to the other side and you have good penitration ,it shouldnt look like a BB stuck between two pieces of steel...believe it or not you'll get a lot less warpage with higher heat and a short burst of the trigger than you will with heat setting not high enough...the last small welder I used was a miller 110 and I had to have it cranked up to 6 or 7 to get it to weld right ,they're all different...My big 220 welder is set around 4 for an idea how different they are ,both used 030 wire...wire size changes everything too. every time I try to weld without setting it up first I have trouble so I always set it up with a piece of scrap and everything works out great...Its ez to remember "fryed eggs" for the wire speed...pancakes for the heat...no muffins please....I sure hope this helps someone ,its how I was taught and it's served me well teaching my help over the years but its alot easier to show someone than write about it...I'm sure someone else would have some pics and a better explaination.