Welding a panel in place - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 03:04 PM

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Welding a panel in place

The rear bumper on a Monza is heavy. I did look at an aftermarket fiberglass version, but did not like the look. I decided to weld in a metal panel in place of the bumper. It kind of gave it the newer car painted bumper look. I started out thinking I was going to use a one piece panel and cut and shape it in place. In typical GM fashion the rear panel was not the same angle or size on both sides. It became easier to cut two panels, one for each side. I started out by welding a ˝” by ˝” box tube from side to side at the bottom between the two quarters. This gave me something to support and attach the bottom of the panel to. I used 24 gage mild steel for the panel. I made a cardboard template wrapping around the corner from the back panel to the quarter panel on the side. I placed the template over the end of the panel and traced the template onto the panel making sure to have the template at the right angle with the panel. I left the panel a little big where it wraps around to the quarter. I tack welded (the size of a bee bee) the panel in the center of the rear and then tacked it again at the spot where the panel begins to make the turn around to the quarter. I checked to make sure the panel was fitting against the ˝” tube at the bottom and tacked it on the bottom in two places. Once I had the panel fitting and held in place with four tacks I began to tack weld the panel on at 6” intervals tacking first at one end and then at the other. Once I had a tack weld every 6” around the main panel in the rear I began to tack the panel around the corner from the back panel to the side quarter. I used a small air grinder and a body hammer to do the final fitting wrapping the new panel around to the quarter. I did the fitting one tack at a time. I started out tacking about 1” at a time and then kept tacking in-between the tacks until I had it welded. One thing I did to keep the panel from warping was each time I tacked the panel I used the air hose the cool the spot I just tacked. The I would shape the panel with the air grinder and tap the panel in place with the hammer for the next tack. When you cool the tack weld with the air hose make sure you leave the air on it long enough to cool it good. I never tack bigger than a bee bee but I make sure I get good penetration. Always stagger your tack weld from side to side on the panel to keep warp-age down and use the air hose to completely cool it. This may not be the write way to do it but it worked for me.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00818.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	19502   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00815.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	19503   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00815.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	19504   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00816.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	19505  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 08:11 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Looks good!

Lotsa work

How did you ever make out with "S C U "??

thread

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

S.c.u.

It's early and I'm 52 please define S.C.U.

Bob
Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

Show Cars Unlimited.

Sorry the link wont work

R

Old 03-20-2007, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

S.c.u.

American Express said they would not reimburse on matters of quality. They were only concerned if he did not deliver a product that resembled what he promised. Show Cars finely made the promise that he would reimburse me if I sent the parts back. My feeling was that I trusted him by sending him the money for the parts up front. At the point that all the arguing ended I did not feel I could trust him to send me anything if I sent the parts back. I decided to keep the parts and grind them down paper thin and re-fiberglass with lots of matting and a quality resin. After weeks of sanding and grinding I re-manufactured the front nose piece to a standard I feel is acceptable. I will do the same with the hood in a couple months. I will use the stock hood as a temp plate to hold the paper thin fiberglass hood strait while I re-fiberglass the S.C.U hood. I am not in he fiberglass business, yet I was able to use his part as a template to produce a product that I would have gladly paid him twice what he charged. No bubbles, no cracks, no thin spots, no delamination and the thickness is consistent. The hood should be easier because the style lines are not as difficult. Famous last words, I will let you know how the hood goes.

Bob
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

You know ...

I don't think there is anything that gets me completely outraged than paying some one {for product or service}& then having to do the work that I paid for my self .

If there is a special place in hell for all those people ... I want to stop there on my journey into the after life.

It might take a extended visit if I get to leave @ all.

When you get a chance ,if you would, I would like to see some repair pixs .

P. S . you probably ask Powerrods Mike if you need any Fiber glass advice he seems very Talented with fiber glass.

Good luck with it all ,

I'm pulling for ya~ we are all in this together!
(Red Green)

R

Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Keller
You know ...

I don't think there is anything that gets me completely outraged than paying some one {for product or service}& then having to do the work that I paid for my self .

If there is a special place in hell for all those people ... I want to stop there on my journey into the after life.
Huh, you must have met the idiot that came out to extend a gas line to the gas drier… My wife called me at work, got me out of a meeting to get me home early so he didn’t knock the house down or blow it up.

The worst thing was that by the time I got home, between the charge for the service call, the time he already had in it, and the fact that he had the treading tools and other stuff there that I didn’t own, it was easier/cheaper for me to just finish the job and use him as an idiot worker monkey (here, drill a hole where I put the X, cut and thread this on this line…) then just kicking the idiot out of the house.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.