welding saftey help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

welding saftey help

I just got a set of welders for christmas a stick machine and a small mig now my problem is I am going to box my front frame section in around my motor mounts. Should I remove the gas tank is my truck going to explode when I start welding with the buzz box may I should take it out any way just to be safe. Thanks stude kid out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Really the Pits
Last photo:

IMHO, the most important asset you need is common sense.

I worked in a muffler shop. I lost count of how many cars and trucks I welded on without removing the gas tanks.

I also have a friend who owns a welding shop. He had a new employee putting on a trailer hitch by stick welding it. The guy flipped his helmet up using his hand holding the stinger and stuck the rod right through the bottom of the tank. Here is where you have to understand gasoline. Liquid gasoline won't explode. It has to be atomized. So what he had was a stream of fire running out of the tank. A quick shot with the fire extinguisher and all the excitement was over. Now, if the tank had run "dry" so that all that was left was gasoline vapor and air, well, I would not have wanted to be there.

If you are going to take the tank out as part of the restoration, take it out now and remove it from the building completely. If you are not going to remove it for another reason, leave it in. The fuller the better. Make sure the cap is on it. Make sure you don't have any leaks. Have a fire extinguisher handy. Make sure the heat is not going to contact the tank or the lines (look on the back side of what you are welding!).

You also should make a lot of practice welds on scrap material away from the car. This will improve your skills while at the same time give you a better feel for where the sparks are going, where the heat is, and how long the heat lasts.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:30 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
IMHO,

I also have a friend who owns a welding shop. He had a new employee putting on a trailer hitch by stick welding it. The guy flipped his helmet up using his hand holding the stinger and stuck the rod right through the bottom of the tank. .
COOL!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.