welding test question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux
I failed. Not really a surprise since it's been forever since i have welded. I did better then i thought. I will be able to take it again. Next time i will be more prepared. At least i tried i guess.

Man that's a bummer, I am really sorry to hear that.

What was your biggest problem? Let's work on it and I bet you will pass with no problem next time, when can you take it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Chevy to the death!

Sorry to hear that buddy. With a butt joint with no gap (what works best for me) is a 3/32 i believe E7018 (meaning it can withstand 70 thousand psi of prussure, 1 signifies all welding positions, and 8 is flux composition) rod, i do a mix of dragging and weaving, in ovalish circles with short arc length (enough i can feel metal crumble when i circle). for verticle, about a 50 degree angle. but i'm crazy and that's just me. good luck for next time
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 AM

oh well. I failed it I did good though. I now know excactly how to do the test. I thought i had a practice piece to adjust my heat. Well that turned out to be the test piece.

next time i will get it.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux
I failed. Not really a surprise since it's been forever since i have welded. I did better then i thought. I will be able to take it again. Next time i will be more prepared. At least i tried i guess.

You will get it.There's a saying: A man that don't fail,Is a man that isn't doing anything. Good luck next time, And remember...Set no limit's on yourself,And never give up.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

There are many different levels of welding skill, there is this-

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...6newwindow%3D1

And then there is this!

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...light=marcella
Old 03-11-2009, 08:10 PM
boatbob2

Welding Test........

HI,if youre an electrician,tell the boss if he needs a welder,that can pass a welding test,go hire one. youre an electrician...REMEMBER???????
Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
HI,if youre an electrician,tell the boss if he needs a welder,that can pass a welding test,go hire one. youre an electrician...REMEMBER???????

Because of the arc welding the joke was for many years around the mines that a welder was nothing more than an electrician with his brains burned out!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Nitro, meat for the beast

just a few comments..
With 7018, never step out of the puddle. The gas plume on 7018 is very...fragile and small comparatively to other electrodes. If you step out, you leave a chance for hydrogen impregnation leaving discontinuities or tracking in the puddle. keep your weaves small ( 3 x rule as stated earlier) puddle tight.
After 20 years as a CWI, I can tell you, x-ray is more forgiving than a guided bend test. With x-ray, you are allowed a certain percentage of discontinuity per-inch of weld depending on the application. With a guided bend, it either passes or it fails. If one of your bubbles or slag inclusions lands in your test piece and causes a stress riser, it will crack and you fail.That little sin may be perfectly acceptable under x-ray but in a destructive test, it could mean doom.

Lee
Old 03-18-2009, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
just a few comments..
With 7018, never step out of the puddle. The gas plume on 7018 is very...fragile and small comparatively to other electrodes. If you step out, you leave a chance for hydrogen impregnation leaving discontinuities or tracking in the puddle. keep your weaves small ( 3 x rule as stated earlier) puddle tight.
After 20 years as a CWI, I can tell you, x-ray is more forgiving than a guided bend test. With x-ray, you are allowed a certain percentage of discontinuity per-inch of weld depending on the application. With a guided bend, it either passes or it fails. If one of your bubbles or slag inclusions lands in your test piece and causes a stress riser, it will crack and you fail.That little sin may be perfectly acceptable under x-ray but in a destructive test, it could mean doom.

X-ray will sure tell the tale on someone though! I have seen guys who thought they were the world's leading welding authority start to squirm and make silly excuses when confronted with that picture of a weld FILLED with porosity and slag inclusions! You know the type, guys who have been welding 20-25 years or longer but learned everything the first day. I think if most welders (I honestly believe MOST) could see the inside of their welds they would be shocked at what they have done. All these little "fine details" such as you just described usually are just disregarded if the welder (weldor) is even aware of them and the downright destructive habits are appalling common. I have watched guys for many years weld on mining and construction equipment and basically they are doing nothing more than just cramming it full of welding rod, that is not welding! On really heavy sections I have watched "old time" welders run beads over small slag pockets and when the error is pointed out the response is always "aw hell I weld hot enough so that the next pass will burn it out"! Time after time guys will let a rod stick then just wiggle it back and forth until it breaks loose, re-strike the arc and keep right on welding with the same rod as if nothing happened. I could go on and on but what's the use there are dozens more of these weld destroying habits but those guys will never learn, I can not think of any other trade that is abused to point that welding is and no other tradesmen that will be as defensive as welders (weldors) when confronted with the errors of what they are doing but I doubt it will ever change.

Last edited by oldred; 03-18-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Nitro, meat for the beast

Oh, I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!
Its ridiculous what some guys think is ok!!! Red, I am sure that you know this, but all the heat in the world will not "burn-out" slag. Its impossible!! Slag WILL NOT BURN OR MOVE! PERIOD! Its like painting over oil. Cant do it!! You are right that so many weldors think they have it nailed when they are putting down pure garbage. They are the most egotistical of all the tradesmen without a doubt!

Welding is still a bit of "black magic". any way you cut it. It is the least understood and most underestimated manufacturing method we know of. Its also the most used method and one that so many people profess to be "expert" at and have not the slightest clue as to what they are doing. I wish more guys would ask questions ( like the guys on this board do) and try to learn rather than go off half-cocked and ruin things!!

Lee

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.