welding test question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

welding test question

guys i am new to this forrum, and if you don't mind i need some questions answered.

I am a electrician. I also went to school for welding about 2 years ago. My company want me to take a welding test tomorrow. From what i understand it will be one of the easier ones a plate test with a but weld, verically and overhead. There will be no gap so i don't have to lay the root with 6010. Instead the bevels will be butted up together and i will run a 7018 rod. My question is can i just run vertical stringers??? I usally weave the vertical passes. But since there is no gap and i have not welded in so long i would be more comfortable with straight stringers. Will they run ok if i just stay with my puddle like usual?? but how close should my rod be???? I guess i don't want it to break through. Should i just hold it as close as i can to the surface? I will be buffing with a wire wheel after each rod. I also plan on grinding the back flat (if they let me) and laying one more stringer on the other side. I think after my first pass i will lay 2 more on top the one for my filler and 3 on top the 2 for my cap. Does this sound correct??? I will do the same for overhead.

I hope some of you can help. I am kinda nervous. Thanx in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

They should tell you what they want. Is it a stress test or xray?
Stringers are easier to get a uniform a weld if you don't weld every day. Defiantly want to run stringers for the over head
I have had better luck with a nice weave when they were simple destructive stress tests, where they cut a 2 inch strip out of it and bend it. I have passed several of those on 3/8 plate. Stick, flux core and co2/argon gas.
If you run stringers make sure you clean before each pass, if they will let you use a grinder to clean up before each pass.
Good luck, just walk in spit on the floor and ask them where they want it welded
Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 PM

thanx for you input. It will be a xray test. When i start going vertically i might just start weaving because that is what i am used to. But i want a good cap so i think the stringers will be better. Also should i do a pass on the back side you think??

would a buffer wheel be suffciant for slag removal??

Usually just use a wire brush
Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

Stringers are better than a weave pass so definitly run stringers if you are comfortable with it. The weave technique would be easier than a stringer for a vertical but as a rule of thumb (whatever the heck that old saying means?) stringers will make a better weld. Another consideration is what size rod are you going to use? I would assume a 1/8" and probably 1/2" plates? In this case the 1/8" E7018 could certainly be run using stringers and if I were taking the test I would not even consider the weave, if however you do use a weave technique then another of those "rules" is to not make the weave bead width more than three times the diameter of the rod. Also when you put the finishing passes on this weld try to run the last beads in the center, or near the center, of the weld and never finish on the edge! Finishing on the edge will leave a brittle area in the transition area between the weld bead and the parent metal but by finishing the weld away from the edge the last beads will tend to anneal this brittle area and make it less prone to cracking when bent. Another little trick would be to start each pass on a "starting tab" if one is used (most tests do) and don't start any pass with a short rod that will run out before completion of the pass requiring a restart in the middle of the weld, hey this is a test no one is going to think much about those long rod stubs on the floor!

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you will come back tomorrow and let us know how it went.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:10 PM

this will be a xray test. Not a stress test. I hear that gives a little more lattitude. Also i have never ran stringers uphill. Do i stay with the puddle like overhead and horizontal??? Or does it run a bit different.

should i run a single pass on the backside after i clean the back??? Especially if i have to grind out inperfections???
Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

maybe you should take a few months to get back into welding a little bit before takeing the test. normal they cut the first and last inch of weld off the test and throw it away.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux
this will be a xray test. Not a stress test. I hear that gives a little more lattitude. Also i have never ran stringers uphill. Do i stay with the puddle like overhead and horizontal??? Or does it run a bit different.

should i run a single pass on the backside after i clean the back??? Especially if i have to grind out inperfections???

What ever you do make sure it's clean.being it's x-ray, you may have to weld the back side butt,if you have to,Make sure you grind the line out.(Don't just weld over the back without grind out the butt)..Just keep it as clean as possible.in between your pass's.

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 03-10-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
maybe you should take a few months to get back into welding a little bit before takeing the test. normal they cut the first and last inch of weld off the test and throw it away.
I understand what you are saying. I don't have that option at this time. I am a very good welder, i went to school for it for 2 semesters. I can weld just want to be ready for the test.

I am also nervous about running straight stringers uphill without weaving (since that is all i have ever done) I am sure once i get in there i will be ok.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I don't have that option at this time. I am a very good welder, i went to school for it for 2 semesters. I can weld just want to be ready for the test.

I am also nervous about running straight stringers uphill without weaving (since that is all i have ever done) I am sure once i get in there i will be ok.
You will still need to weave,Just don't try to fill the butt with one pass..
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS

You will still need to weave,Just don't try to fill the butt with one pass..
OK. so i was thinking i should run the root with one. THen the filler with 2 passes saddling the first. Or i could run a stinger for the root the fill it with a weave in 2 passes, the cap it with 3 stingers???
Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

I was going by the comment you made in your first post saying you were more comfortable with stringers.

If you are the least bit uncomfortable running stringers in the vertical position then definitly use a weave technique, especially if this test is to be just x-rayed. Stringers make for a better weld and since you said you were comfortable with it I thought it the best way to do it, however there have been many thousands of tests done successfully using the weave technique and although I personally would run stringers that is just me. A weave bead was a real no-no for any weld when using less than a 5/32" rod in the type of welding I was doing for many years but a weave can certainly be used. Even with the weave however you really do need to stick to that "three time the width of the rod" rule although if this weld will not be stress tested it may not make much difference. The wider the weld bead, in relation to the depth of the bead, the more stress that will be built up and if the weld was to be stress tested the stringer vs weave could make the difference between passing and failing. Also the recommendation about not starting out with a short rod is very important with an x-ray weld and if you do have to start in the middle of the weld start with a new rod each time, never try to start out in the middle of the weld with a rod that has already been burned on the end. If the weld is so long that you can not avoid changing rods before finishing a bead then make SURE you do this in a different place each time! If you have to change rods in approximately the same area on succeeding passes you will almost certainly create porosity that will show up in the x-ray.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
OK. so i was thinking i should run the root with one. THen the filler with 2 passes saddling the first. Or i could run a stinger for the root the fill it with a weave in 2 passes, the cap it with 3 stingers???
Most of the x-ray test I have taking,I put the root pass,Then I grind the line's out,Then put two pass's over lapping the first.Then usually 2 pass cap,works.Depends on how wide the butt is.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Oldred..Did point out something very important..."three time the width of the rod" rule..
Old 03-10-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Most of the x-ray test I have taking,I put the root pass,Then I grind the line's out,Then put two pass's over lapping the first.Then usually 2 pass cap,works.Depends on how wide the butt is.
since i am more comfortable with weaving i think i will stay with that (even thought i would like to try stringers, but they wont run straight like i want them and i will end up weaving anyway). So in this case i should over lap the root with 2 weaving passes, just keep them small then grind the joints out?

also with the root. I am used to laying a root with a 6010 keeping a keyhole and stepping the root, not necesarrily moving a puddle. With the 7018 do i step the root?? or run it straight?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 AM

I failed. Not really a surprise since it's been forever since i have welded. I did better then i thought. I will be able to take it again. Next time i will be more prepared. At least i tried i guess.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.