Welding upside down????? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM
russlaferrera

Last wiki edit: Threading tips
Wiki Edits: 2

magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
wow!! ive been welding well over 30 years and never heard of useing a magnet for welding overhead, what a simple solution. question- solid metal is magnetic, is metal still magnetic when it is in a liquid state???
No. I thru a piece od steel in the fire to get it cherry red. A magnet would not attach.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had the same welding problem when rebuilding my car trailer. I removed the wheels and fenders, then using my chain hoist I picked up one side of the trailer and flipped it over on the garage floor and continued welding from the top. Simple if you have the tools available to do that with but be careful, trailers can be heavy and get away from you in the process of turning. I didn't tear up too much stuff, but it could have gotten ugly.

A car rotisserie would be the way to go.

I still cant weld very good upside down, but I've learned to do it better by turning down the heat and making more passes.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Hahahahaha...those are ceramic.

Mikey
yeah guess they didnt realize that.
Shane
Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Any self shielded fluxcore FCAW-S ive ever ran or seen is DC-( Direct Current reverse polarity-work to rod/wire) not AC(Alternating Current).
MIG or FCAW-G is DC+( Direct Current straight polarity-rod/wire to work)
FCAW-G is Gas shielded innershield(gas shielded with fluxcore)..or in other words as Mikey said,the duel shield.
FCAW-S is Self shielded wire(fuxcore with no gas)

Ive yet to see any of these run AC,im not saying it doesnt exist,just ive never seen it,ive only seen and used AC for TIG on aluminum and magnesium and if ya get a shock from AC?..man..you KNOW it,nothing like the easy little shock of DC,it HITS you HARD.

Oldred is right,the FCAW-G is working its way into the big industry but because it uses gas shielding its limited to inside shops or having to build a shelter or tent around the work so the wind or any moving air doesnt blow away the gas...ive yet to use it myself but have heard some good about it.

As far as the overhead welding on that trailer hitch and boogering up,could be the gas blowing away,or if using fluxcore alot of people new to welding doesnt have that "EYE" to tell the difference between the filler puddle and the slag,thus thinking the slag falling is metal and they tend to move too fast and the weld looks like boogers because they didnt let the puddle fill.
Another thing most people dont know,MIG or Fluxcore HATES any type of paint,rust,galvanized metals..etc..it just doesnt like to arc through anything in its way to the metal..always make SURE the metal is totaly clean,i know most of those trailer tongue's come already galvanized,they do have a wire made for welding through galvanized and works great..E71T-14 fluxcore,no gas.
Some people turn the heat down on overhead but personaly being a"HotRod" as being called,i like to weld hotter than average,better penetration and smoother weld but takes ALOT of practice,one thing i dont like about welding cold on overhead is it just doesnt seem to be getting any penetration,i like to run it HOT,start my arc,let the puddle fill just enough in the "saddle" and then feed ahead at the rate of speed its burning out,letting it fill just enough to fill ONLY what is burned out.

As was stated before..practice..practice.. practice

When we teach our apprentices to weld,we give them a few scrap pieces,butt them together,set it on maybe a 30 degree angle from being flat and let them weld and practice getting to know the difference between the slag and filler puddle,being on a slight angle like that lets the slag run behind the weld,not in front of it causing splatter and perosity from the slag getting in front of the weld,this is a great way for people to practice getting the "EYE" for the puddle,then move on to a vertical,then overhead,this a great way for beginners to get the actual hands on practice before actualy welding something they depend on.

I think a subject like this would be GREAT for the expereinced welders in here to start a new thread for the beginners to be able to go and learn,talk about the processes of different welding,why use certain types for certain situtations,what type of welders to buy or avoid,techniches and types of filler wire or rods,even maybe a few actualy put some pics or videos up in it so these people can actualy see whats going on rather than trying to explain it online and TRYING to get a good picture in their head of what they need to be doing,i know there's plenty of people on here who are expereinced and DO own a few welders and some scraps laying around,im game if anyone else is

Enjoy your evening folks...John
Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Ah, I think you have that backwards, Flux core gas-less is straight polarity and MIG either solid or duel Shield is run on reverse polarity. For example the Lincoln MP 211 that is so popular is run on straight polarity.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

lol..you had me goin for a minute oldred!..i thought i was havin a brainfart when i wrote it!..but..nope..gasless is always reverse,gas is always straight...
Like i said..had me goin for a minute and caused me a little head tilt like i was losing my mind this late at night or something so i went out and took a pic of my 110v lincoln pro 135 mig/fluxcore machine..pic explains it all..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wld tech 003.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	22987   Click image for larger version

Name:	wld tech 004.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	22988  

Last edited by SuthnCustoms; 07-27-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

Uh, That pic is right but DC+ is REVERSE and DC- is straight.

Gas-less is run on straight and MIG is reverse (DC+)

E7018 is reverse, right? it is always run DC+ (unless you have some of those crappy 7018 AC rods)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

yup..your right oldred..brainfart..to late in the night for me,im usualy in bed by now but up waitin for the ole lady to get back from her bachelorette party their havin for her sister and being on these pain pills for the arm and leg joint pain from the ole"iron hangin" days aint helpin either, i got the straight and reverse screwed up with the negative and positive,aint my first brainfart and sure as he== aint gonna be my last..lol

Have a good evenin..John
Old 07-28-2007, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

Common mistake and a lot of folks get that confused because of thinking that DC- must be reverse, however DC electrode + is reverse polarity (work to rod) and DC electrode - is straight polarity (rod to work). This may at first seem backward but remember current flows from negative to positive, not the other way around thus flux core (gas-less) = STRAIGHT polarity, DC electrode negative (electrode to work) and MIG = DC REVERSE polarity, electrode positive (work to electrode).
Old 07-29-2007, 07:03 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

wowee

Gave the magnet a try yesterday. Considerable arc blow and spatter with stick. Mig was kinda like welding through grease. No noticable difference with oxy acet. Well, this one didn't work but was still a make ya think idea. Don't give up, some ideas really do work.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 PM

Last journal entry: A/C compressor braket continued
Last photo:

110 v welders are not for structural welding

Tinman 386,

For all the folks with 110 volt welders. Please don't even think of doing structural welding with these machines. They have a low welding voltage with means no penetration. That is what makes them excellent at welding sheet.

Powerrodmike said he limits his to 1/8". But not all of these welders are created equal. You should do test pieces on the same thickness of material you are going to weld. Butt weld 2 pieces of 1/8" then saw through the metal perpendicular to the weld. You'll be able to see the penetration. Try breaking the sample. Does it break or bend? Probably it breaks and in some cases you'll be able to break it with only your hands. Try it with different thicknesses.

If your hitch is 3/16". The material will conduct the heat away from the weld so quickly it may not penetrate at all. The weld looks good but it is just laying on top of the metal. This same thing might be happening even if it is 1/8".

If you do this test you'll think twice about trying to weld on a trailer hitch with this welder.

If you had a MIG welder of adequate amperage, you would weld overhead by using the trigger on the MIG gun to stitch the weld. Instead of welding colder, I often weld hotter. Pull the trigger, move the wire in an 1/8" circle, (be sure to fuse both pieces) to create a puddle, release the trigger. Move over about 1/2 the diameter of the weld you just created, pause until the color has gone out of the weld and do it again.

It is a good idea to position yourself to the side of the weld, so the hot stuff does not fall in your face or down your shirt etc. Turn your hand over knuckles up. Lay on a creeper or something to get off the floor because the hots stuff bounces - especially on concrete.

If I were you, I'd practice with the sitck welder and turn the trailer over to do the overhead, right side up.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

When using a 110 MIG on heavier stock preheat works wonders and does a LOT to alleviate the poor penetration problem , but as pointed out higher current is the real solution. With proper preheat the thermal shock caused by the heat sink effect from the extra mass can be controlled allowing for a decent weld even with the lower current. Also I could not agree more that practice with the stick welder is a great idea.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:57 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

suthncustoms

well if you haven't seen self shielding ac wire, you need to look harder.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I have a lincoln 175 mig. I have welded with all most ever machine,In i would buy a 175,again!! It is about $600.00 at lowes. You will not be sorry.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:34 AM

welding upside down

hmm here is my theory on this adjust ur speed and heat levels till u get a uniform bead that haves good penetration and by all means wear leathers or something that will protect u from the spatter and molten metal or slag coming from the wire/flux or even a stick rod i can weld in any position known with any or just about any type of welder there is or was built if it was working right

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.