Hot Rod Forum banner

welding upside down...

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mav79 
#1 ·
hey all...

i'm trying to weld upside down with a MIG and i'm having quite a bit of trouble.

i'm having trouble getting the bead to "stick"... it seems to just want to melt the wire, which falls back into the tip, or onto my arm :spank:

anyone got any tips?

thanks, col.

#2 ·
You really must live "Down Under" if you have to weld upside down...!!! (Just jokin!!) Sounds like you're running a little hot and your feed is too quick- when I have to weld in weird positions like that I turn down the heat and wire feed and put a few spots just to get it 'snagged' together- then up with the heat/feed and move a little quicker to get a good penetration- 'course this depends on the base material thickness also. Hope you are wearing leather sleeves and head protection- getting out from under a project while on fire is rather difficult!! Good luck and practice a lot- it is always best to try to move the peice to a position where you can lay a better bead if you can.

#3 ·
autocol- The overhead weld position as it is called is usually the most difficult weld to perform. However it is just that, difficult, not impossible. What it takes is a lot of practice to develop the right technique. Machine settings and condition of weld area are very important. Make sure all traces of rust,dirt and scale are removed and that you are using the right welding wire. Gas shielded (mig) works better than the flux core wire and make sure you use a nozzle shielding spray to protect your tip. Experiment with different welder settings on scrap pieces and in a short time you should be able to overcome this problem. Don't give up it will work for you it just takes practice.

#4 ·
indubitably. With flux core, you are supposed to "Drag" the gun...which is probably pretty difficult working overhead. Whereas with a shielding gas, you can push the bead.

as mentioned before, not too much heat...

In any event, I'd make sure the area you're working on is mighty-clean, it will undoubtedly help in achieving a quality weld.

#5 ·
I'm not welding upside down just underneath the body. It's on blocks so I can sit under it and weld in the new floor pans I made. I have the back (trunk) done just have to do the front (driver and passenger area) now. I know what you mean about sliding out from underneath while on fire. And I have these little welding burm marks all over my left arm. Live and learn. Ouch!:sweat:

#7 ·
I rag my head when I do overhead now... Had a tiny sparker launch into my ear once, perfect shot, nothing but net. Sounded like frying bacon in my head, with the volume cranked up... while I'm doing some kind of chicken dance trying to get it out. Of course it is stuck to the ear wax in my ear... I grabbed a can of Coke off of the bench, poured it in my ear to cool it quick... More cool sounds you thought that you would never hear. Coke stings a bit on open wounds, BTW... (I'm glad it wasn't loaded with bourbon) I think water may have been better, but hot metal was getting mighty close to my brain, so I'm sure I wasn't thinking clearly. Spent the next two weeks sounding like I had my head buried in a fish tank while my ear was full of some really cool looking fluid. My wife told me to quit screaming or sleep outside.

My kids say I look like a 40 year old gangster when I weld now. I just smile and holler to them to bring me another Coke.

#9 ·
Mav- Glad to HEAR that you can laugh at your injury,unfortunately a lot of people are not so lucky. Over the years I have seen this same injury happen a bunch of times so ear plugs are part of the required safety equipment at our shop. Everyone knows about welding and eye injury but ear injuries can be very serious and are far more common than most welders might think. If someone laughs at your gear, well let them laugh, it is you that has to live with the pain. I personally wear ear plugs,welders cap,safety glasses and a respirator(also very important) under my welding helmet. All that gear may seem like too much trouble until you need it but burns hurt a LOT! and all too often leave their mark for life. Take the time to be safe you will be glad you did!

#10 ·
No arguement here, oldred... I have always worn safety specs and a welding cap, as I usually have hair long enough to get caught under the creeper. It also works as a fire starter in a pinch... No flaming skull so far!

I sure didn't mean to make light of a serious issue. It is a whole lot easier to make fun of myself now, but it wasn't funny when it happened. Number one son is wanting to start welding a bit more, so maybe it was one of those things that I'm glad I learned on me so I can tell him what NOT to do. (like that ever works)

Sorry to get this thread slanted away from the original. Autocol, you've already got some good advice from some good folks. Hang in there, practice, and you'll get it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.