well getting ready to get serious on the 37 - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 PM
bobs77vet

Last journal entry: frame repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well i am happy to say the floor is totally fitted.....i made it so the entire front floor boards are completely removable so if we ever want to change drive lines and or brakes etc we will have complete access to everything on the frame......this was not a hard task but damn if it didnt take a boat load of time. it sits a a fabricated square tubing frame so the floor bords and seat support bracketry are nice and secure.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 06:18 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

getting closer.....to the engine rebuild. we need to make some notes on the wiring and then we are off to seperating trans from engine. i want to do a leak down test before i tear it apart how do i reference TDC on a flathead? do i use the slot that drives the distributor? and what do reference it to?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

I havent been napping

well at least not too much any way......
it turned out the engine needed to much machine work to be cost effective so we took the old engine out and a put in a used one from a reputable source in its place....

Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

first show first trophy

well just a quick update on where we are.......first show and first trophy

Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Gearhead for life

Last journal entry: Swapped out the bow-tie bling
Last photo:

Awesome - glad to see she's runnin' and lookin' good! Congrats!

Tom
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

Tom good to hear from you hows everything going?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 AM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

lights blinkers action....

well this weekend has been set aside to finish the electrical wiring of the new lights, blinkers and rear turn signals, finished the engine wiring harness and now on to the turn signals and headlights. living in an urban area sucks for cars like this and hand signals are even recognized. i post some pictures as we go.....
Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 AM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

well all the wiring is done i made a hand made wiring harness using two relays one for the ignition switch circuit and the other for the headlights still need to wire a horn switch and new instrument gauges. i added halogen headlights, front 1157 turn signal bulbs and LED rear turn signal/brake lights

Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Nice work! You've done a ton of work, done it yourself and have a good looking car to boot. I'd be very proud! Keep us posted. Dan
Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

generator to alternator conversion

well i took the plunge......certified auto electric in bedford ohio set me up and i would recommend them to any one interested in doing this. that billet pulley has the mounting holes for my fan. more to do tomorrow....

Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

front suspension rebuilt with needle bearing kingpins

i realize i could post this in a different section but lets keep all the work in the same spot. i am replacing stock king pins with the deluxe kingpin set with needle bearings...well it all went pretty well......let every thing soak in PB blaster over night and hit it every couple of hours with extra squirts.....it all went well until i had to get the steel bushings out of the spring perch and the transverse front spring......my arms are still hurting from that one

here i took the wheel, drum and backing plate which is still hooked up with the cables off the car

next i take the tie rod ends off using a puller

i wonder why my spindle ends have a keyway in them?

here i have knocked the king pin out

here is the inner spring steel bushing i cut it so i could collapse it in on itself and beat it out with a hammer and drift my arms are still hurting

all new parts are ordered

Last edited by 37ford4dr; 01-31-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:02 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

well the king pin install was a breeze...no problems what so ever and it was actually a pleasure to put together. on a difficulty scale of 1 -10 with 10 being hardest i would give this about a 3-4. i greased the bearings after the install on the bottom of the spindle and before i installed them on the top....i also packed the intermediate bearing with grease before i assembled it. i used the green synthetic water proof grease.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:05 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

i noticed that the bolt that attaches the wish bone to the front I beam and is used to mount the shock absorber on has about 1/16 of play in it and will not tighten up and I can not push it out......i have it soaking in PB blaster at the moment.... i am assuming its just rusted in place at the moment and soaking it will free it up. so the I beam actually has about 1/16 of play inside of the wish bone. after i get it apart i will shim it out

i also set up the new pitman arm drag link today and i have the other drag link soaking

[/
Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

37, I had missed all the hard work on this project. Congrats on doing the job with your son!!! A big investment that will pay great long term dividends!!! The key way in the spindle is to keep the outer bearing retainer washer from spinning. It has a tab built into the hole that slides into the slot. If you don't have those special washers, you need to get them ASAP.

If you have not budged the wish bone retaining bolt yet, put some heat on the upper and lower eyes on the bone because this is where the rust is located and will "assist" in freeing it up. just work the torch around the outer edges and alternate working back and forth between the top and bottom. Will take a while to get enough heat soaked in to do the job. When you start getting just a slight surface glow, time to get out the hammer unless you have a good two fork pressing tool.

Trees
Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

trees thanks for the reply, i will look at those retaining washers, they had so much grease and goo on them that i may have missed that tab, and as i think about it now that you mentioned it i have seen those key ways on lots of front wheel bearing washers.

after thinking about this for a while, tonight i am going to see if i can make a little home made press with a bottle jack , the big removable cross bar from my real press and some chains. i will wrap the chains around the axle and that removable bar with the bottle jack inbetween to put some constant pressure on that pin. and if i can't persuade it with a couple tons of pressure i will heat things up a little bit. i am in no rush so the pressure and penetrant can work their magic....and saturday if it has not loosened up out comes the torch....thks bob

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.