Well.... Lookie what showed up at the NSRA Southern Nats - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,267
Wiki Edits: 49

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
Be calm.... Take a deep breath....and walk past it! Don't stop to look, and don't take pictures.

Besides, it was probably someone who agrees with you, that was trying to make a point, by throwing that together and entering it. :-)
I'm quite sure with the wagon that is the case. One can only hope more people do the same. When the NSRA disrespects its own members by fundamentally changing the organization without asking, then its time for the members to show their displeasure, either by a demonstration of this type or by doing what many of us have done.... dropping their membership.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Frisco's Avatar
Glad To Be Here
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canton, North Carolina
Age: 72
Posts: 2,244
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I showed my old 'T' roadster and assisted with my buddies back in the '60's. We were present at the Oakland Roadster Show, the San Mateo Show and the San Jose Show.

In order to be allowed to show our car(s) at those shows, the car had to be pre-approved. This was done by sending a photo or by actually being physically inspected by the show officials prior to being accepted. Drove Jerry's 'T' roadster in the rain to be inspected for the San Mateo show. Got approval for the San Jose show while at the San Mateo show.

Even after approval, if the vehicle wasn't up to their standards when arriving on set-up day, you may not get to show. If it wouldn't run under it's own power at the Oakland show you lost points.

REMEMBER, the public is paying to view the vehicles at these shows. No one wants to pay to see a POS.

Evidently, the NSRA does not have a pre-inspection and anything goes. Example that POS wagon with all the decals and stick-ons. That organization will definitely be feeling the wrath of the paying public. If they don't change their policy concerning what shows and what goes, it will be their demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 AM
wretched ratchet's Avatar
one full turn after it squeeks
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yuppieville, Tejas
Age: 73
Posts: 1,180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 162
Thanked 211 Times in 164 Posts
so the Gooberment is not the only bunch that is screwed up, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM
454 Rattler's Avatar
NEVER SATISFIED !!
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eagle River WI.
Age: 70
Posts: 897
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
Did anyone send pictures and a letter of protest to NSRA ??

In fact, why not submit this whole thread to them ?!

454 RATTLER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,267
Wiki Edits: 49

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
Evidently, the NSRA does not have a pre-inspection and anything goes. Example that POS wagon with all the decals and stick-ons. That organization will definitely be feeling the wrath of the paying public. If they don't change their policy concerning what shows and what goes, it will be their demise.
Unlike the Oakland Roadster Show, people who attend NSRA events PAY MORE TO ENTER THEIR CAR THAN THE PUBLIC DOES TO VIEW THEM.

According to the NSRA's own web site this is what your car has to be in order to attend: "By definition a street rod is: An automobile of 1948 or earlier manufacture which has undergone some type of modernization, to include any of the following; engine, transmission, interior refinements, and any other modifications the builder desires. A street rod is to be driven to events under its own power and is to be used as a safe, non-racing vehicle for total family enjoyment.

In addition, a street rod is a means of self expression for the creator. The builder of a street rod is not confined to guidelines set down by someone else...he can be his own man, and the street rod can be whatever he wants it to be, as long as the basic vehicle was manufactured prior to 1949."

This is why members are upset about their new 30 year rule (allowing any car 30 years old and older to attend the show). This rule fundamentally changed the organization and it was done without asking their 10,000 plus paying members. So hopefully protests like that Ford wagon will show up at all NSRA events.

When they made the change the NSRA claimed their membership was polled and 98% wanted this change..... I was a member for more than 20 years and I was never asked and I have yet to find any NSRA member anywhere on any forum or in person that was asked if they wanted this change. So.... there are only two ways to protest, quit or show up in something like that wagon... which I think is hilarious by the way.

Last edited by Centerline; 05-03-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2004
Location: N.C.
Age: 75
Posts: 241
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Centerline]Fits right in with their new 30 year rule don't you think?

[/QUO

Yes sure fits rite in sort of like all them vendors that did't show up eather dam shame you can't go and pick up a few needed parts. My brother just got back and said a LOT of the regular venders were NOT there this is what I was hearing from a lot of them at the natls. Looks like its coming to be. I spect this will be his last one. I thew the towl in when my membership came due.

OLDROD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 88
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would that wagon have been so bad had it been built neatly and into say a mid 9 second street car? I dont get it,I dont understand how a bunch of car enthusiasts,American car enthusiasts, could hate anothers choice of build subject so much. What are you guys afraid of? That the bunch of Hooligans in 77 Trans Ams or 79 Camaro Z28's are gonna start a rumble? I see a lot of pre 48 street rods that I dont want to look at either but im not gonna tell them to leave a show or not give them a little respect.We "newer car" guys have a lot
of time and dough in ours too,and they are still RWD American cars built here!
They are harder to get parts to restore too! It takes a lot of dedication.Im only in my 30's I have alot of time left here and I love cars and I want to be around them as a hobby for a long time and this attitude is not the way for our hobby to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Flipper_1938's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Age: 46
Posts: 426
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc1
Would that wagon have been so bad had it been built neatly and into say a mid 9 second street car? I dont get it,I dont understand how a bunch of car enthusiasts,American car enthusiasts, could hate anothers choice of build subject so much. What are you guys afraid of? That the bunch of Hooligans in 77 Trans Ams or 79 Camaro Z28's are gonna start a rumble? I see a lot of pre 48 street rods that I dont want to look at either but im not gonna tell them to leave a show or not give them a little respect.We "newer car" guys have a lot
of time and dough in ours too,and they are still RWD American cars built here!
They are harder to get parts to restore too! It takes a lot of dedication.Im only in my 30's I have alot of time left here and I love cars and I want to be around them as a hobby for a long time and this attitude is not the way for our hobby to continue.
Why do you go to the church that you do?

I don't know or care what religion you are, but it is the same thing for die-hard car enthusist. You want to associate with people that have the same beliefs as you.

I believe that a pre-48 is a damn fine car show.

I don't want to walk past a rubber bumpered street machine, the same way you don't want to sit in a church pew and ignore a sermon for a religion you don't believe in.

Last edited by Flipper_1938; 05-03-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prattsville
Posts: 6,383
Wiki Edits: 31

Thanks: 2
Thanked 56 Times in 52 Posts
NSRA was pre-48 until this year.. so the majority of NSRA Members are/were pre 1948 owners. so when NSRA opened the flood gates and created the 30 years or older rule. it stepped on 90% of the members... of course the guys who couldn't enter in years past are excited to enter this year, but flip the perspective around to the pre 1948 owners, it was THERE show... could be a part of a goodguys event where most anything is welcome, but chose to go to an NSRA event because those members chose to look at cars made 1948 and prior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
NSR/MA, the way it looks to me now (Street Rod/Machine). If I was a "pre-'48'er", I'd bail too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,913
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 14
Thanked 205 Times in 186 Posts
It will be interesting to see what NSRA-York brings this year. So far NSRA-Burlington hasn't been overrun by the 'typical' clapped out '70's Chebbie/Ford/MoPar 4 door rust bucket station wagons ..... yet with most of the newer cars being pretty good. While I don't appreciate what NSRA has done, economics and the lack of decent '48 and older cars to be rodded dictated some changes - though '69 might have been a better year, allowing most of the muscle cars, but.....

I've heard the arguments about after market cars, glass and steel, but many folks just don't have the $30 to 50K and more to build one from scratch. As many here know, mine is a Brookville - and even I don't want to know how much it cost to build

Dave W
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938
Why do you go to the church that you do?

I don't know or care what religion you are, but it is the same thing for die-hard car enthusist. You want to associate with people that have the same beliefs as you.

I believe that a pre-48 is a damn fine car show.

I don't want to walk past a rubber bumpered street machine, the same way you don't want to sit in a church pew and ignore a sermon for a religion you don't believe in.

VERY WELL SAID! That is the point, if I want to go to a hip hop concert, I will, but I don't want a hip hop opening act at Brad Paisley concert!


Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
It will be interesting to see what NSRA-York brings this year. So far NSRA-Burlington hasn't been overrun by the 'typical' clapped out '70's Chebbie/Ford/MoPar 4 door rust bucket station wagons ..... yet with most of the newer cars being pretty good. While I don't appreciate what NSRA has done, economics and the lack of decent '48 and older cars to be rodded dictated some changes - though '69 might have been a better year, allowing most of the muscle cars, but.....

I've heard the arguments about after market cars, glass and steel, but many folks just don't have the $30 to 50K and more to build one from scratch. As many here know, mine is a Brookville - and even I don't want to know how much it cost to build

Dave W

I personally have never thought that "repro" cars didn't belong, I don't want one but that doesn't stop me from drooling over them at the shows. I very rarely think about it when I am looking over a car. Detail is what attracts me, and I don't care if it's glass, a four door, a Chevy or a Dodge. I don't care if it's a big dollar car, or very common one. Detail is what I look for.

The thing about most every repro bodied car is that it is the FLAVOR of the original, it captures what that original car was about. I don't like the "zipper" bodies or any of the other fake 37's with the laid back windshield, they do nothing for me.

What's funny is the Rat Rod movement is all about the original iron and no repro stuff. Then they paint it with fake "Patina"and even rust and cover it with repro retro parts!

The NSRA shows I went to the sevenies were full of glass cars, so what, it was the PEOPLE that made it.

The people at those events, they were of all one passion, streetrods.

I love the muscle car shows, I love the "All American Get together" by Goodguys. But they are "different", they are just "different".

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Flipper_1938's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Age: 46
Posts: 426
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I've heard the arguments about after market cars, glass and steel, but many folks just don't have the $30 to 50K and more to build one from scratch. As many here know, mine is a Brookville - and even I don't want to know how much it cost to build

Dave W
$30 to $50K gets you a nicely done street rod. Painted inside and out, top to bottom, nice wheels and tires, decent drivetrain...etc.

Guess what, if you build a late model to those same standards, you will have just as much invested, if not more. Anything nice enough to withstand really being looked at, will take time/skill/effort/money to build.

If you are lowereing your standards to running, driving and only painted on the outside camaro,mustang, nova,whatever....you could build a fat fendered car or truck to those same standards for similar money.

I was into street machines in the late 80's early 90's. ...built a couple of nice camaros. I know what it takes to build a street rod quality late model. It is as much, if not more work than building a street rod out of a pre-48.

I have seen the light and crossed over to pre-48.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938
$30 to $50K gets you a nicely done street rod. Painted inside and out, top to bottom, nice wheels and tires, decent drivetrain...etc.

Guess what, if you build a late model to those same standards, you will have just as much invested, if not more. Anything nice enough to withstand really being looked at, will take time/skill/effort/money to build.

If you are lowereing your standards to running, driving and only painted on the outside camaro,mustang, nova,whatever....you could build a fat fendered car or truck to those same standards for similar money.

I was into street machines in the late 80's early 90's. ...built a couple of nice camaros. I know what it takes to build a street rod quality late model. It is as much, if not more work than building a street rod out of a pre-48.

I have seen the light and crossed over to pre-48.
It has been discussed and proven over and over, the only difference with the cost of the finished product is the initial cost of the car. Across the board it doesn't cost any more to build a Duece Roadster as it does a 64 Nova or a 78 Fairmont. And in fact many cars like a 58 Buick would cost much more than a 32 Ford to build if you started out with the same condition car.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So.... Who's going to the NSRA Nats in Louisville??? Centerline Hotrodders' Lounge 12 07-10-2008 12:26 PM
Opinions on NSRA Nats vs NSRA Virginia Arrowhead Hotrodders' Lounge 4 07-16-2006 04:31 PM
Back from the NSRA Nats Centerline Hotrodders' Lounge 4 08-13-2005 06:57 AM
And even more cars @ the NSRA Western Nats willys36@aol.com Hotrodders' Lounge 7 05-03-2005 09:31 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.