Welt foot question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Welt foot question

Dan,

I remember a while back you talked about a welt foot for your machine that was 5/8", and you used it for windlace.

I am doing a 31 Chevy panel truck right now, and i could use one of these for the windlace. Could you tell me where you got this foot?

I would like to get one for my Consew RB-5.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy P.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I have since found that a 3/4" welt foot is better for making windlace. It doesn't sew quite as tightly to the sponge rod, and works better for heavier vinyls and leather. I get my feet and attachments from Cut and Sew Services in Gardena, CA.
here's their web site: http://www.cutsewservice.com/index2.htm

The 3/4" welt foot for my machines was only $24.95, which I think is a super bargain and well worth it. While you're at it, get a right upturn single toe foot ($19.95). It lets you sew close to things that have an obstruction on the left side that a presser foot or welt foot can't get by, like plastic "J" channel. Enjoy!

Dan

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 AM

Welt foot

Dan,
Thanks for the information. I have purchases most of my machine feet from that same company, but had a hard time finding that particular foot. I'll have to call and talk to them directly.

I figured with this 31 Chevy panel I'm doing for my customer, this would be a good time to pick up that foot.

Thanks for your help.

Andy P.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Andy: Is that a Consew 206 RB-5 we're talking about? See if this is what you need http://www.cutsewservice.com/RIDE/In...tails&id=26208

It's their part number S32-3/4.

Dan

Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Welt Foot

Dan,

Yes Dan, it is a Consew 206 RB-5
That looks like it could be the one.
Thank you for your help!

Andy
Old 11-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Always look up in a custom

Last photo:

This is a bit late adding to it, but I'll toss in my .02. I use a Consew RB-4. When doing the windlace (custom vinyl usually), I first glue it around the foam core. Mangus and Taylor recommend just doing the gluing and skipping the sewing. I don't trust the glue that much.

When I sew the thick, I use my zipper foot and snug it right up next to the core. When it's glued, it makes a tight seam that keeps down the wrinkles around corners. With the original cloth windlace, you do have to watch snagging it.

For hard-to-get at places, I have a regular presser foot that I've ground down and polished. the side rail is only about 3/32" wide and it can do anything. I use it for zippers more than my zipper foot, and it really lets me line up close to an edge. On J-channel, however, I like to use my welt foot and set it up on the channel. That guides the needle right at the center of the lower lip without wavering. Even though it's raised up, the thread still tightens at the center like it should.

russell
Old 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Hi I sell sewing machines, and we have the welt foot you would need. We also carry thread, needles, vinyl material, and many parts for various machines. Feel free to call, be happy to help out.

Toledo Industrial Sewing machines

Thanks, Bobby

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-05-2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Hi: It is against the rules of this forum to advertise. Please check the rules for posting. I am going to leave the name of your business in your post, but remove the phone numbers.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitcher_guy
This is a bit late adding to it, but I'll toss in my .02. I use a Consew RB-4. When doing the windlace (custom vinyl usually), I first glue it around the foam core. Mangus and Taylor recommend just doing the gluing and skipping the sewing. I don't trust the glue that much.

When I sew the thick, I use my zipper foot and snug it right up next to the core. When it's glued, it makes a tight seam that keeps down the wrinkles around corners. With the original cloth windlace, you do have to watch snagging it.

For hard-to-get at places, I have a regular presser foot that I've ground down and polished. the side rail is only about 3/32" wide and it can do anything. I use it for zippers more than my zipper foot, and it really lets me line up close to an edge. On J-channel, however, I like to use my welt foot and set it up on the channel. That guides the needle right at the center of the lower lip without wavering. Even though it's raised up, the thread still tightens at the center like it should.

russell
Why glue and sew both? Either one way or the other works, but for $24.95 the 3/4" welt foot would pay for itself in time saved the first time you use it. I can sew all the windlace for a 4 door in 10 minutes. It would take far longer to glue it and even more time to sew it after gluing.
All upholsterers have their little tricks, and I have ground down a foot or two in my time, but the single right upturn foot for $19.95 is worth it's weight in gold to me. It also sews pleats (or channels, whatever you want to call them) in sew foam better than a welt foot or presser foot.
I sew all my zippers from the back side with a welt foot,but that's just my way of avoiding changing feet.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.