Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - It Went BOOM!!
Thread: It Went BOOM!!
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin' View Post
Oh, I see. Not JUST nitro for fuel did this deed. If an body ever wondered why hyrrazine and et cetera was banned- this is why.
A few years ago, I got the chance to chat with one of the head guys with Messerschmidt's ME-163 rocket plane program during WW II.
He was telling me that, even mixed with alcohol, it could be very unstable and more than one plane blew up from landing too hard -- Imagine coming down hard from a wheel stand, or hitting a bump in the track at 200 mph ... Ka-Boom!!!

Another thing he was telling me about the plane was that while it had more than enough power to break the sound barrier, it didn't have the aerodynamics for it and would go into shock-stall at around Mach 0.85, sending it into a nose-dive that was almost impossible to control.

Makes me wonder if that wasn't what really crashed in Roswell, NM in 1947 ...
It was the fastest bird in the sky at the time, so it's safe to say that the Air Force was very interested; and Roswell AFB wasn't that far from White Sands Testing Grounds, where they were were shooting off V-2 missiles, which used the same fuel.
If some hot shot test pilot wanted to see just how fast this bird would go and ignored the cockpit alarm ....