wet sanding before sealer/base coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

wet sanding before sealer/base coat

OK guys. It's almost showtime. I am just about ready to BC/CC my 66 coronet. I have been using SPI white epoxy as my primer and have the body as good as I can at my skill level. I actually think it's in fantastic shape. I started wet sanding with 400 grit on the last pass. So here is the question, how slick does the primer need to be before sealing and baseing? After wet sanding the body almost has a gloss to it but I can still see faint scratches in it. Nothing like 120 grit or anything like that. But they are there. After properly wet sanding, should I be able to see any scratches? I will be sealing it with reduced SPI white epoxy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM

if you sanded with 400,you are good to go with your reduced epoxy as sealer.

let er rip
Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 AM

i was at a shop that never wet sanded and we put out some nice rides and i was at another that wet sanded everything when i was wet sanding i would use some spray on guide coat and if it was still in the scratches then id keep goin but it sounds like your ready to roar
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

yeah, he should be alright. The scratches that will harm you are rogue scratches. If you get them it's possibly due to grit, which will make it stand out from your normal scratches. Or you can get some scratches that are not from grit and these are usually around edges or down low...aka... lazy sanding.

I never got them til recently, but of course I've had a couple rogue scratches, it inevitible. Sometimes I work on parts on tables and when I'm wet sanding my block doesn't get too close to the table edge due to grit on the table or what have you so when I double check my work I'm noticing I'm having to go back over those areas with that edge hanging over the table to correctly sand it but at first I wasn't sanding it off the table enough. Now I'm more mindful of it and hanging it over the edge and sanding longer on it. It has just become a process.

Last edited by tech69; 04-23-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsyclonex2002
. I started wet sanding with 400 grit on the last pass. .
Hold on a minute...did you prime and sand with 400 or sand with coarser grits and work your way up to 400 ? As long as its primed and sanded with 400 your ok.but if you used coarser grits without priming before the 400 scratches will show...when I use the epoxy as a sealer I sand the sealer lightly with 600,then base.This gets out any trash or texture and gives you a good smooth slate to start with...
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

It had been wet sanded several months ago to get ready for paint but I ended up moving and the winter caught me. I was afraid of contaminates from sitting around so I wiped it down with windex a couple of times, then with wax a grease remover about 4 or 5 times. Then I scuffed it quickly with about 180 grit, then wet sanded again with 400 grit.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I had a feeling thats what you did.I would reprime and then sand with 400.or use the epoxy reduced as a sealer ,about 3coats,then sand with 400 ,a guide coat will help also.You shouldnt need to seal it after that but a quick breeze over with 600 wouldnt hurt.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.