Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wet Sanding and Buffing
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 11:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Also I like to know how is that dull clear comes out shiny when you buff it?
Another one is when you sand clear coat to put more coat how come again dull clear becomes shiny when you put clear on it? I always wondered.
When you wetsand and buff you are putting finer and finer scratches in, taking out larger scratches, even the compounds have grit to them and the pads. When you get fine enough the gloss comes back. If you went to a fine enough sandpaper the gloss would start coming back Clear sprays out glossy as well as fills fine scratches, so spraying you have gloss again, even if you sanded with something too course you would still have gloss spraying clear, but the scratches would be magnified by the clear. I don't sand with anything courser then 1000 for dirt specks minor orange peel. Only time I would use 600 is on a bad spot like a run, or something where 1000 just won't cut it. You can sand with 3000 or whatever if you want, the buffing part will go faster and gloss will come back fairly easy, but at 2000 you are at a point where it should buff fairly easy.