Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wet Sanding and Buffing - Dark and Light
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmaks View Post
I run Meguiar's pads and compounds, so far I'm pleased. Usually I wetsand with 1500 and go over it with 2000, Meguiar's Ultimate compound, finish it off with Meguiar's Swirl remover and I'm done.
Perhaps you're not sanding out scratches with finer grit sandpaper like you're supposed to do. Instead of that you're trying to polish those scratches out.
You're better off sanding with next finer grit of sandpaper than trying to cut those scratches out with compound imo.
--- My clear coat lays very smooth. So when i wetsand, it's to get little nibs out or just something small.

I normally start with 1500, 2000, and 2500 if i feel like its needed. I keep all my sand paper in separate containers with their corresponding grit, the car is washed and dried before the wet sanding is done. I also keep a designated pad for each type of compound/polish etc being used. They are kept covered and clean until next use.

I'm very meticulous.

I am in Bethlehem, PA and i tend to go to Klines, and or Jabobs for my paint needs. Klines sells mothers, and m3 products, and jacobs is m3 and meguiars product.

As i stated above, i think its 90% pad choice that is causing my problem. The swirl marks were never complained about, and are really really faint when in direct sunlight and on a dark car.

A few of my painter friends recommended i get a random buffer, but that will change my available pad choices also. Currently im using hook and loop large diameter pads.

What im asking is... not just the system name you are using but... What kind of pad are you using for what specific compound, what specific pad with what specific polish etc.

thanks for all the replies so far also.