Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wet Sanding and Buffing - Dark and Light
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 01:53 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfoehrkolb View Post
--- I promise you... The pads im using are probably on the level of harbor freight pads lol. My least aggressive pad, i could easily use to cut with compound...

I'm not opposed to stick with this mothers line of mine... but still wont mind what people are recommending.
you want real wood pads and a dedicated pad system for what you're using. Even wiping with a micro fiber can create swirls on black. So even for something as minor as wiping it with a towel, I'll count my passes so I know it's roughly done so I wipe less. never let compound dry on your car, pads clean and conditioned properly, and the right pressure and rpm. Even your hands...nothing can touch any part of the pad, car, towel. You have to be really anal about it. A good light will help locate dry areas that need buffing. As the compoud dries you want less pressure. When you're doing final passes you want so little pressure you're holding it up and barely touching. The biggest key for me is to be as thorough as can be with the wool, and to then go back over it with compound on foam. If you do those two steps very thoroughly then it's a cakewalk, in my opinion. Before you go to polish wash the car with Dawn to get off any polymers/afro sheen to reveal anything you missed and go back over it. Wash again and polish. You should also have dedicated microfibers for compound and polish and kept in clean zip locks.

As for me, I'm a dirty body tech but I can buff like a champ. The car and pads will be clean but my shirt will be full of compound.