Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wet Sanding and Buffing - Dark and Light
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
we use meguiars 8.5 I think it is, But our pads are burgandy,off white, and yellow. no texture on the pads. I guess if it's a pad for the compound you're using can't really go wrong.

Also, I'd like to state an opinion that wool pads being bad is a misconnception as long as you spend time compounding with a pad afterwards. The reason I say so is because isn't the very first scratch you put on the paint more aggressive than the wool and compound? Then what's the problem as long as you take gradual steps to erase each last step? There is no problem otherwise we wouldn't be sanding with things much more aggressive than wool and compound. It saves a lot of time in my opinion even though you've added an extra step by using wool.
--- It's not about is the wool less aggressive than the sand paper being used. I would think it's more aggressive than a less aggressive foam pad. When you have minimal mm of clear coat to play with. Every little bit counts that you dont really "need" to take off. Then again, it all depends on how many were applied and what your specific ordeal is you have at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34 View Post
I like my wool pads kind of like Tech69's method. I have cutting wool pads and gentler more polishing oriented wool pads. I also have a couple 3M black pads for final polis and glaze then hand glaze with Meguiars swirl remover, finishing with meguiars HiTech yellow wax.
--- I called my local jobber about those buff and shine pads, and they are 18-20$ a per pad. So if i get pad per step, im probably looking at over 100$ in pads. But i will probably want more than 1 pad each to do any overall in relatively an as fast as possible situation.