Wet Sanding and Buffing - Dark and Light - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wet Sanding and Buffing - Dark and Light

I have a few projects coming up, one being a bigger $$ situation.

The current set up i use is with a rotary buffer, but my pads are just crap. It's okay for the eco jobs i do, and even with the polishing compound and my least aggressive pad... VERY faint swirl marks are still present in direct sunlight of blacks/dark colors. Not noticeable on lighter colors.

Still though, it bothers me knowing i am putting something subpar simply because of materials being used.

I need some assistance on an entire new set up either with a new rotary, or random, along with pads and compound/polishes etc etc.

I use SPI clear, nason, and chromaclear depending on what the customer wants. I use a rotary buffer, and just crap pads, along with the mothers compounds, polishes, and glaze. (dont have part #s on hand but its in the red bottles)

I would like help as stated above from start to finish of new products. To get swirless/perfect buff jobs on dark colors, and in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfoehrkolb View Post
I have a few projects coming up, one being a bigger $$ situation.

The current set up i use is with a rotary buffer, but my pads are just crap. It's okay for the eco jobs i do, and even with the polishing compound and my least aggressive pad... VERY faint swirl marks are still present in direct sunlight of blacks/dark colors. Not noticeable on lighter colors.

Still though, it bothers me knowing i am putting something subpar simply because of materials being used.

I need some assistance on an entire new set up either with a new rotary, or random, along with pads and compound/polishes etc etc.

I use SPI clear, nason, and chromaclear depending on what the customer wants. I use a rotary buffer, and just crap pads, along with the mothers compounds, polishes, and glaze. (dont have part #s on hand but its in the red bottles)

I would like help as stated above from start to finish of new products. To get swirless/perfect buff jobs on dark colors, and in general.
to not have swirls in my opinion comes down to product line AND cleanliness, as well as technique. I'd say technique is most important.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
to not have swirls in my opinion comes down to product line AND cleanliness, as well as technique. I'd say technique is most important.
--- I promise you... The pads im using are probably on the level of harbor freight pads lol. My least aggressive pad, i could easily use to cut with compound...

I'm not opposed to stick with this mothers line of mine... but still wont mind what people are recommending.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

as far as compounds i use 3m products, i have been using there perfect it system and there pads i get all the 3m mainly because my local Auto body stores carries those products and it nice to use something that always in stock so mid through if i run out i don't have to change to another product.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I run Meguiar's pads and compounds, so far I'm pleased. Usually I wetsand with 1500 and go over it with 2000, Meguiar's Ultimate compound, finish it off with Meguiar's Swirl remover and I'm done.
Perhaps you're not sanding out scratches with finer grit sandpaper like you're supposed to do. Instead of that you're trying to polish those scratches out.
You're better off sanding with next finer grit of sandpaper than trying to cut those scratches out with compound imo.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmaks View Post
I run Meguiar's pads and compounds, so far I'm pleased. Usually I wetsand with 1500 and go over it with 2000, Meguiar's Ultimate compound, finish it off with Meguiar's Swirl remover and I'm done.
Perhaps you're not sanding out scratches with finer grit sandpaper like you're supposed to do. Instead of that you're trying to polish those scratches out.
You're better off sanding with next finer grit of sandpaper than trying to cut those scratches out with compound imo.
--- My clear coat lays very smooth. So when i wetsand, it's to get little nibs out or just something small.

I normally start with 1500, 2000, and 2500 if i feel like its needed. I keep all my sand paper in separate containers with their corresponding grit, the car is washed and dried before the wet sanding is done. I also keep a designated pad for each type of compound/polish etc being used. They are kept covered and clean until next use.

I'm very meticulous.

I am in Bethlehem, PA and i tend to go to Klines, and or Jabobs for my paint needs. Klines sells mothers, and m3 products, and jacobs is m3 and meguiars product.

As i stated above, i think its 90% pad choice that is causing my problem. The swirl marks were never complained about, and are really really faint when in direct sunlight and on a dark car.

A few of my painter friends recommended i get a random buffer, but that will change my available pad choices also. Currently im using hook and loop large diameter pads.

What im asking is... not just the system name you are using but... What kind of pad are you using for what specific compound, what specific pad with what specific polish etc.

thanks for all the replies so far also.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

when i wet sand and buff depending how bad and how much material i have to play with 800-1200 grit and i step it up to 2500 by the time i get 2500 i already have a low gloss and sometimes i even step it up to 3000 depending how time i have and i use the 3m rubbing compound and there step 2 polish and there perfect it machine polish with a foam pad on all the steps and i get nice brilliant gloss. i cant say the way i do it is the right way but hey my stuff comes out looking good maybe some one here a bit more experienced than i can chime in and let us both know if this is a correct way of doing it
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster76 View Post
when i wet sand and buff depending how bad and how much material i have to play with 800-1200 grit and i step it up to 2500 by the time i get 2500 i already have a low gloss and sometimes i even step it up to 3000 depending how time i have and i use the 3m rubbing compound and there step 2 polish and there perfect it machine polish with a foam pad on all the steps and i get nice brilliant gloss. i cant say the way i do it is the right way but hey my stuff comes out looking good maybe some one here a bit more experienced than i can chime in and let us both know if this is a correct way of doing it
--- This is a quick picture i have at my disposal of something i wet sanded and buffed.

by all means, my stuff doesn't look bad... im just very anal with my work. Perfect or not happy at all.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

i personally do not get swirl marks the way i have been doing, i have done some black, cars for friends in the past but also one thing i always keep with me is a flash light if you shine a light and still see scratches in the clear that are a little deeper than what is supposed at that given stage you aint done with stage yet and you would be surprised what you will find when you shine your flashlight on a car while wet sanding. let me ask you does the car have a slight gloss before you start buffing or is it still real dull?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
i personally do not get swirl marks the way i have been doing, i have done some black, cars for friends in the past but also one thing i always keep with me is a flash light if you shine a light and still see scratches in the clear that are a little deeper than what is supposed at that given stage you aint done with stage yet and you would be surprised what you will find when you shine your flashlight on a car while wet sanding. let me ask you does the car have a slight gloss before you start buffing or is it still real dull?
- after sanding its always matte or a bit worse than matte.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

what pads do you use when you buff the cars are you using a wool pad throughout, cotton, micro fiber, foam because to coarse of a pad will cause fine swirl marks on you last stage of buffing hopefully one of these more experienced guys will chime in and help you out because swirl marks are very annoying especially when you have pride in what you do and want every thing you do to come out perfect.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
what pads do you use when you buff the cars are you using a wool pad throughout, cotton, micro fiber, foam because to coarse of a pad will cause fine swirl marks on you last stage of buffing hopefully one of these more experienced guys will chime in and help you out because swirl marks are very annoying especially when you have pride in what you do and want every thing you do to come out perfect.
--- I only have 2 type of pads with 1 course and 1 finer... and when i say fine... i could use it for cutting lol.

My buddy gets them from his work... they do the job for free pads... but like i said above... The customer is paying me good money and i just need some product #'s combinations. But yeah... the pads are harbor freight quality and are just trash.

I know it's my pads causing the problem. I never purchased quality pads before, so thats what im trying to figure out. I am not against buying 4-5 pads for all the different stages of compounding, polishing etc.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

Mothers® Professional Rubbing Compound

click on that... I use the professional mother's series.

81132 - Rubbing Compound
91232 - Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound
82332 - Machine Glaze
83432 - Foam Pad Polish
84532 - Hand Glaze
Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

Try going you local auto body store and buying some qaility pads and post up your results when i paint my mustang ill do the same i have a feeling your pads could be causing your issue if your finer pad is as coarse as you say
Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Try going you local auto body store and buying some qaility pads and post up your results when i paint my mustang ill do the same i have a feeling your pads could be causing your issue if your finer pad is as coarse as you say
--- That's what i was going to do last resort.

This is from their supplier at my local jobber.

Car Foam Pads, Wool Buffing Pads, Double Sided, Lambswool & Dual Head Polishing Pads ? Buff and Shine

Those are the pads i would be purchasing.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.