wet sanding kandy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 09:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

wet sanding kandy

hello all,hey is wet sanding as hard as everybody says.need some small lumps of clear sanded down. the painter filled some low spots.very minor orange peel on wheel trim and a couple of other spots mostly on the edges of the bumpers.please help I have no idea how to fix my car.the car was shot on may 28 just past.
thanks ryan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 12:10 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

I would recomend 2000 grit paper with some type of backup block. Tape off bodylines and edges, that way you won't sand through. Wipe the area dry often to check progress. When is level stop cause it's time to buff. Buffing can be done by hand. It takes longer but it'll be safer.
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthr...6&page=3&pp=20
Old 09-17-2003, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

you have to know how much clear is on the car ,try sanding the lumps first, you can buy a run razor to remove the lumps, or runs on flat surfaces . Also try not to sand to much on the wheel trim , i've left minor orange peel on the wheel trim .The paint is usually thin on spots like that and on edges . wet sanding could be easy ,you just have to be careful .use a little sanding block on the flat sides and maybe a little flexible sanding block on grooves or curves .remember not to sand to much on the wheel wells or corners .Kandy's can be hard to blend if you mess up .
Old 09-17-2003, 08:46 PM

thanks for the info.the car has 3 coats then kandy then 3 more so 6 but really 3on top.should I use one of the black foam pads for a block.I saw the painter do some sanding actually he was showing me how.he says you can pretty much feel the peel go away.most of the peel is around the chrome trim on the doors but I think im gonna have to suck it up and live with it.I really like the car its just everybody that sees it picks it apart and the rumors get back to the painter and before you know it poof my painter is no longer my painter really sucks.nobody will touch this car.

hey hoss you should check out my impala looks like you have one also.I dont know how to post pics or i would.

http://members.cardomain.com/divacapone
Old 09-17-2003, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

i seen your impala about a month ago on the car audio forum . small world .don't worry about runs ,i think you have enough clear .i put runs on a car that were 5 inches long ,it was freezing and we decided to clear the car at three in the morning very very cold and the runs just started coming down .the next day we were sanding the car getting ready for a show .don't worry about people talking nonesense about your paint as long as the paint doesn't have blotches ,spots ,chips. then it could easily be fixed.
i ran into the same problem once, and decided to re clear the car .some painters like doing this because the paint might have orange peel or little groves from flake or patterns . so they clear the car and then sand it with sandpaper around 600 to get the ripple out ,then re clear a smooth flawless coat of clear ,thats the way to go .if you got the $$$$ then you could sand the imperfections without going through the clear ,then re clear it .if not then get some 1500 or 2000 sandpaper and a water bucket and start sanding ,you can use a rubber hand block on the sides ,and a small flexible foam pad on the round parts , like milo said .you should use tape on the corners so you wont sand through ,.dont rely to much on the feel .when sanding use a little squegee block to dry the surface ,you will notice when the orange peel is sanded out .
ps .i seen the pictures of your car ,nice paint . start sanding !!!!!! ,first start with the flaws, bumps .then start sanding the flat sides ,dont start sanding the corners ,or edges because the clear is thin ,you might want to save the edges ,corners for last

Last edited by hoss; 09-17-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:13 PM

thanks for the help.the car is not as bad as it seems actually you would probally say im crazy for some of the stuff.man the car is just crazy and i wanna drive it.its been over a year since I tore it apart.its just about95% done at least to me.wish me luck.thanks again. ryan
Old 09-17-2003, 10:26 PM

Last photo:

dont give up ,you could water sand the car in one day and buff it the next . i bet it will look good .send a pic. when its done ,i've always wanted a 94-96 impala ,i got a 61 impala, im going to paint it brandywine over silver base .
good luck
Old 09-18-2003, 07:02 AM

wanna trade.I want a 60 to 62 drop top.my base is two gold pearls and 1 gold metallic mixed.kinda gave me a cinnamon color.good luck painting yours ill keep ya posted.thanks again
Old 09-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

When using a bucket as a water supply it can easily get contaminated. You should use a garden hose so you always have clean water and surfaces, if it has a metal end on it ,cover it with masking tape. Good Luck

Troy
Old 09-18-2003, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

you could give another coat of candy ,maybe another color wild cherry ,brandywine ,etc .some thing with the same tone ,maybe
later you could give it some darker ghost flames or some thing, make it look good . there are many possibilities with Kandys as they are toner's ,i think it will look good ,..

when we wet sand vehicles we use a big sponge in a bucket of water and a little soap.hold the sponge in one hand above the sanding area ,and squeeze the water as needed .
i think it's a hassle to keep pulling a hose with you every where you go .plus you make a big messss

just my opinion
Old 09-18-2003, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

A step every 20--30 min. is not pulling the hose..
I have tried both ways., if I`m doing a small item in the shop I use the bucket.
On an overall color sand the secret is no dirt or grit, what ever is on the sponge goes back in the bucket, it just takes one piece of grit to screw up a paint job. Why take the chance?

With a hose each stroke of the sand paper has clean water, and the sanding residua is gone, with a sponge your rubbing the residua back on the paint.

Troy
Old 09-18-2003, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

Talking

iv'e been doint this stuff for a while.different people do it different ways ,, you may be right
troy but check out this link

Last edited by hoss; 09-18-2003 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:35 PM

when done sanding what proudcts whould be used for the polishing part.type of compound what is best to remove the polish.right now I mix two of whatever is in the tan bottles mabey meguiars . its what the painter told me to use.it rubs out pretty good.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

The best way for any one to decide which way works the best for them is try them all. All painters have different ways of doing lots of things so that they work for them.

In my fifty years of painting and building cars, and putting out 10-12 jobs a week the hose method works the best.

In the summer time we do it outside, in the winter we do it inside
in a paint room or the wash bay.

I checked your link, it was very informative, it showed a bucket and a piece of sandpaper.

Troy

You will find that every shop and painter uses different products and metheds. Most of the products give the same end results.

Myself I use strictly mequairs products. I start with a general purpose heavy cut compound, then go to #3, polish and swirl remover, then to #7 or speed glaze, myself I prefer speed glaze as it gives the wettest look. Be sure and use a different FOAM pad for each step, and use the finishing FOAM pad for the glaze.
when I`m through buffing, I apply a coat of speed glaze by hand,
and use old worn out t shirts or diapers, On whites and light colors I use old worn out towels. HTH.

Good Luck
Troy

Last edited by troy-curt; 09-18-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

also make sure you tape over every corner ,sharp edges .
you could easily burn through ,keep the buffer moving don't stay in one spot because it generates heat and that could burn your paint .and do it in a cool place .no sun .once the whole car is done ,then take of the tape and start buffing the corners ,edges
you can get a set of buffing pads at www.eastwoodco.com

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.