wet sanding and scratches - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 07:18 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

wet sanding and scratches

been a lot of post about this. i have a small 1/4 in hose in my booth that i use to keep the floor damp while painting. i also use it to wet sand. i have a 4 ft piece of surgical tube i stick on the end of it when sanding. wont scratch laying on the surface. the main thing is i have a filter on this line. i have well water and even when i was in the city i did this. there is a ton of rust/sand and things i cant recognize coming out of the hose. as long as i use this hose the scratches are keep to a min.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

good tip

That is one of those great ideas...I suppose that we do not think of nasties in the water causing scratches in the paint.. I know I would not..

OMT
Old 10-23-2005, 08:10 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

i have never liked the seating arrangement on a buffer. run water thru an ultra strainer and you'll freak at whats in it.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

I just ran into this very problem a couple of days ago. I kept getting grit under my paper and I simply could not figure where it was coming form until it finally hit me that it was in the water I was using. I pump water to my home from a large spring and although it appears to be Crystal clear I have found that it contains very fine sand and other junk that although not visible in the water it can cause a major problem when sanding clear coat.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

the company that makes the dura-block also makes a sprayer hose. its a 1/4 dia hose like you described. it has a fitting on one end to hook to a garden hose and the other end has a small spray head with adjustment valve and 2 suction cups. the end simply suctions to the surface and you can have it constantly mist across the surface while wetsanding. i'm sure you can put a filter inline somewhere too.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
I treat my wet sanding bucket, paper, blocks, sponge like I am not only using it for drinking, but in surgery. I am not kidding you, that stuff is kept clean. The bucket is washed like a dish. If the paper fell on the ground, it is NOT returned to the bucket. It is washed in the hose or replaced.

If I had water that had minerals in it, that water WOULD be filtered, a couple of times.

But another thought is to stop wet sanding. There are super good products these days that have all but eliminated the need to wet sand anything. We went to dry sanding clear a year or so ago. The 3M "Perfect-it II" system is pretty cool. The only water used is a little from a spray bottle. You could used bottled water from the store you use so little.

3m Perfect-it (click here)

Brian
Old 10-23-2005, 07:22 PM
old car nut

Last photo:

That is a neat system. I still use the wet sand paper method. Probably just old fashion. I made a washing system using some drip irrigation hose and several suction cups. I have an under the counter filtration system on my water supply. Picked it up at a year sale for two bucks and a used water softner system which I use for sanding and washing the car. It really makes a difference. I might have to try the new system before I get older and die.
Jan
Old 10-24-2005, 06:37 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

tried the " dry " sanding thing for a while. works good but i still ended up using the hose to clean up the mess. i just like my little hose because when i'm done it's all clean and rinsed. i just spent a small fortune replacing guns to get away from sanding. my old guns just left too much texture. to get it slick i was getting too much film thickness. now i can control the build and have no texture to deal with. any sanding can be done by hand.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:44 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

You can buy clear plastic tubing of all sizes at Home Depot.
They also have fittings to adapt it to a garden hose.
I use old speaker magnets with a spring clamp epoxied to it
to hold the hose in place. I covered the magnet with duct tape
to protect the paint. Might have to make this a tip of
the day.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

i'm sure that works and if anyone wants to go that way then great but by the time you buy all the stuff with the fittings and the clamp and magnets you probably spent twice as much as the dura-block hose. i think i paid $10 for it and its ready to go.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

the whole point of this thread was to point out that using a water hose or even a bucket can lead to scratches because of trash coming out of the system. my setup is plumbed into my paint booth for sanding and wetting down the floor while painting. you can use a clear fuel filter inline on the small hose and put a stop to it. i dont judge tools or equipment by the cost. only by the results. saves me time and money.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

I totally agree on the well water contamination, unless you have a filter there's always that gamble that some amount of abrasive will get through your well pickup screen. These abrasives can be natural minerals or even rust scale from the casing. Get yourself a clear container and fill it with water a few times and usually you'll see some particles. Just one more thing that can bite you in the *** that's usually not considered. I've never thought of the fuel line filter-that definately might classify as a tip of the day along with Jim's home built setup. I usually roll the dice with spray bottles, buckets, and water bottles. Makes you wonder how many fine scratches are caused by well water when just washing a vehicle. Bob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.