Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wetsanding Clear and Metal Flake on Edge
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 05:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Let me start over the first application of paint was done as you outlined , Gold no sweat, Red looked good at first, after first coat of Clear the spots appeared "the effect of metalic standing on edge resisting clear". So now what? after I saw the problem in the first coat of clear I let it cure over night and Wet sanded it with 400 grit. Attempting to remove as much of the metalic on edge effect as possible, hoping against all hope, that perhaps another coat of clear or two would lay over the problem areas after sanding. During the sanding processes I noticed ares wher the red needed more blending so since I had sanding with 400, I applied a little red at 125% reduction before applying the subsequent coat of clear. There were no reaction issues with this method. The only remaining problem is the pin head size craters which I was intialy trying to get the clear coat to fill or lay into. I used a fisheye additive in the 2nd and 3rd coat of clear just on the off chance that it might aid the clear to flow over these pin marks. Again the Color looks great, it the pin marks I would like to get rid of, hopefully without stripping the product all off the car and starting over from scratch. I don't mind taping off the car and applying more clear if needed I just wat to save my base work unless that's not possible. Mind you the product cost to date is nearly $2000.00 in paint products. The 7800s is $275.00 a gallon

Thanks Phill