Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wetting leather to stretch?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No the glued panel isnt good for 5 days, sorry. Once the glue is down and dry its pretty much over. Trim and top is meant to be fairly heat resistant. heating will help to pull it off but it is not repositionable.

Too much glue will stiffen you up too. Are you making a spray pattern that is fairly loose (Large fan) in opposite directions on opposite panels? this will minimize the amount of air you need. I have a 5 gallon I use cause its mobile. A touch up gun is too small in my experiance. Get a quart gun and adjust the paint screw until it shoots it out like snot at about 40 psi. Then raise the air up until you get a fan about 3 to 4 inches. You want the glue to go on wet bet not soak in or thru. Put it on in layers like a cross. On the opposing panel rotate the cross patter 45 degrees. It will give you the best bond with the least amount of glue.

the glue if it is trim and top is contact cement. 2 sided and you should be gluing both sides. if you take a hair dryer and heat the glue side it heats out the solvents and softens the leather from the back side. And makes the stuff stick like a mother.