What is this 350 block? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 03:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What is this 350 block?

Has the normal 3970010 on the back, between the bolt holes and then it has an M with a square around it. Then on the other side on the back, there is nothing, where you would find the date etc. on other blocks. Then on the pass side, between the 2 freeze plugs, there is a dial or clock looking thing. Most 350 blocks I've seen don't have this. What is it?

Thanks, Brad

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 PM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

This sounds like a normal target master block. The "M" could be someone marking their block to send to the machine shop. Any picture's would definitely help with the identification. The Clock should have 10 numbers for a ten hour shift with a triangle pointing to one of the numbers, this would be the hour of the 10 hour shift that it was made, most likely a Saginaw block. hope this helps! Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

For better ID look for the casting date it is located on driver side rear of block on flange forward of bellhousing
Also look for Id numbers stamped on a pad just forward of the right side (passenger) cylinder head.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

Thanks!! Well, the M looks like GM did it, as it is cast in the block like the 3970010.........and like I said, there is no date on the block back there like normal......I dunno.....
Old 09-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

Do you have a digi camera?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

I know where you're coming from and yes I do, but the block is over in the next county and I probably won't be going back over tonight........I'll see what I can do.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

sounds cool if you get some pics I definitely know someone on here can identify it.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 PM
this hobby is expensive!

dont deck your block!

i also have a block with the same casting numbers...if its the M im thinking it is its a block cast in mexico and the circle of dots is a casting clock. each dot represents an hour usually 10 or 11 hours shifts, just tells the time of day it was casted. i never could figure out how to read it. on the deck directly in front of the passenger side head there will be a series of numbers and 3 letters 2 sets of this actually. the larger printed ones are the engine suffix codes the 2 or 3 letters at the end will tell you the exact year, horsepower, vehicle it was in, factory intake, trans, and carb. 302, 327, and 350 blocks are all the same just different cranks and whatever. 302 was always a 4 bolt main and 350 could have been either. theres no such think as a factory 4 bolt main 327 unless someone changed the guts of a 302 or 350. the 3970010 blocks were made from 1969-1979. you should be able to clean it up and get the numbers on the deck in front of passenger head. you could spend time looking for them on the net, buy a book with them, or call GM and they will let you know. under the timing chain cover it might say 010 or 020 thats just indicating the percentage of tin and nickle that was added to the casting says that in the back of block too and maybe on drivers side near the oil filter. some people argue that that means 2 or 4 bolt main but thats just a myth. post those numbers on the deck here and ill look them up and repost if you would like. www.msa-1.com sells books that tell casting number and books with suffix codes as well. its like a mystery that will eat you alive until you figure out what they all mean lol
Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

I was under the impression that the M would be "stamped" in the block, on the front in the number on that pad, in front of where the pass side head would be. This M is raised up, just like the casting number and has a box or square around it. There are no 010 or 020 numbers in the timing chain area. G32 is all it says there...I know what you're saying about how to read the clock thing, but I hadn't seen one on the side of a block like this before. I have 8 350 blocks out in my shop and none have the markings this one does............wierd........GM for ya...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.