Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What adhesive do I use on vinyl?
View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
DanTwoLakes DanTwoLakes is offline Moderator
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 67
Posts: 6,604
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 363 Times in 312 Posts
First of all, there is no glue you can buy at a home improvement store that is intended for use on a car interior, so stop looking at Home Depot.

This is an upholstery project that requires high heat resistance, and holding power. The best way to do that is to use bulk (in containers of a gallon or more) HHR (high heat resistant) spray grade (shoots out of a spray gun, not an aerosol) top and trim contact adhesive. My favorite is DAP Weldwood top and trim adhesive. There are other companies that make good adhesives, like 3-M, but the DAP is way less expensive. You will only find this in upholstery supply companies. Here is one place that has it on line: There is no aerosol on the market that will compete with a contact adhesive of this kind. One other caution: 3-M 77 does not work at all, period, it is terrible stuff. 3-M 08090 super trim adhesive in an aerosol is very good, but still not as good as spray grade stuff, and is also very expensive.

Look at this Wiki article, it will tell you everything you need to know: The solvent for this stuff is mineral spirits, or Xylol. Xylol is more powerful than mineral spirits, but it's also at least twice as expensive.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 01-20-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote