What are the advantages of a gasser straight front axle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

What are the advantages of a gasser straight front axle?

Can a straight axle setup be lighter than a conventional setup with control arms? I figure it is possible. I know it makes more room for headers, any other advantages? Better launch?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The straight axle front ends on the old gassers were done that way mainly raise the front and shift weight for a better launch etc.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

An old time gasser friend of mine said he used them for one thing only and that was so he could raise the front of the car and keep the motor low. The rules then were you had to run a hood and nothing could stick up above the hood line. The raised front with the motor dropped to just clear the axle let him run a tall intake with a tall spacer between carb and intake or a later tunnel ram.

Trees
Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

In addition to making it easy to raise the front end to shift more weight to the rear, the straight axle also keeps the front wheels plumb when the wheels come off the ground and come back down. An IFS allows the wheels to droop. So when the front comes back down, the plumb wheels on a straight axle make for a safer, more controllable run.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

If memory serves, the center of the crank could be no more than 24" off the ground and thats what it took to get it there. Side effects were lighter frontend, better weight transfer, more caster could be dialed in for better straight line direction, better control of body torque roll and arguably less air drag. Least thats why I did it, Cool was not a factor.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

"Fiscus" straight axles are put in almost anything. Im not sure how much of the straight axle you can see. But I have a car in the galley that has 1930 ford straight axle under it. This is the second gasser I built. Its does not have the ride of a Caddy. But its not bad,and they look cool. You can buy anything you need for the axle new. Even a disc brake set up like I have. But remember, lots of guys install them wrong. And it makes the car hell to drive. We can like let go of the wheel at 60 mph and it runs straight. Also after you install it. You have to find someone that know how to aligned straight axle front ends. Most that think they can can't. Its totally different then a late model front ends. I live in a town of over 4 million people and its only one garage that I would trust to align mine. Take your time,and measure twice. If you find it easy your doing something wrong. We also have a 56 chevy car with a straight axle under it. Ill get a picture of it also.
Good Luck !
Old 02-02-2008, 06:08 AM
street rods forever

Last photo:

Good info.....My bud is going to put one in a 55Chevy,new front clip(tubing)........
Found Jim Meyers site lot of good info there on 55's setup.......

Last edited by kruzr; 02-02-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

This bestest thing about them for me?????? They look totally awesome!!!!

Mark
Old 02-02-2008, 05:12 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
This bestest thing about them for me?????? They look totally awesome!!!!

Mark
Yes they do

Shane
Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 PM

More reasons ...

They allowed the cross member to be cut away and placed where you want it. That meant you can run headers, motor plates, engine mounts, all sorts of things that are easier to mount or fab. Also, you can drop the pan and service the engine without pulling it. All around tidy front end without the weight of the IFS and massive cross member needed to control/mount IFS.

On the cheap you could get the front end from a pick-up or a van including steering box for a few $$. Better built set-ups used chrome-moly tube axles, coil overs and even disk brakes (although they drag). Many were built with good drums off big GM cars like Buick and the stopped OK. Dollars got you lighter and stiffer. But the ideas were the same
Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61bone
If memory serves, the center of the crank could be no more than 24" off the ground....
And still can't. You're reviving some old memories. (I'm 10 years your senior.) Though I can't prove it, of course, it's my belief that the 24 inch rule was put in the books to eliminate the Ramchargers C/A from competition. It had gotten to the point that, when the car showed up at a strip, the Chevy powered cars would refuse to run, claiming that it was unfair to have to compete against a factory car. While the Ramchargers were later to truly become a "factory" group, the claim was not true at the time. Anyway, I'm certain this brought pressure on the NHRA. At essentially the same time, the pounds per cubic inch number for C/A was changed, allowing Chevy powered cars to reclaim the records. (Of course, they still had to beat Billy Rasmussen's DeSoto powered C/A.)

Incidentally, the front suspension of the C/A was stock.
http://www.racetec.cc/shope

Last edited by BillyShope; 11-10-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.