what all chevys came with a 254 Muncie 4 speed trans? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 02:38 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what all chevys came with a 254 Muncie 4 speed trans?

hey guys
I was wondering what all Chevy cars came with a 254 Muncie 4-speed trans from the factory? I got 1 in my 55 Chevy and I wanted to know also if they hold up good under a beating or not, and are they fine or course spline and how many tooth spline they are.. thanks for any nfo any good clutch suggestion's with a soft pedial?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

muncie

The first gen muncie was produced from 1963 until some time in the 65 model year.It was a 2.56 ratio first gear (i assume that is waht you ment to typ not 2.54) Every 65 muncie i have ever seen has been the first design but i am told there are some of the second design in the 65 year.. 66 started the second design and first gear went to a 2.52

The first design transmissions had a 7/8" pin that the counter gear mounted on with 4 sets of 20 roller bearings. This was not a real heavy duty deal because you could almost get another bearing in each row.. making a smaller load bearing area. the second gen trans went to a 1" pin with 4 rows of 26 bearings closing up the gap and creating a greater load bearing surface,,,

The first gen transmissions also had weaker sincronizer design. This also was corrected with the second gen trans..

First thing is that you need to make sure what trans you have.. look on the side of the main case on the passinger side close to the top will be a casting number it is rasied not stamped into the case... Tell use the last 3 digits...

Then we can go from there...the first design trans can be made to hold up under moderate use, but if you plan on spanking this thing like a 3 year old in walmart you better go with the later transmission...

Just my .02 for what its worth....

Keith
Old 02-06-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-star
The first gen muncie was produced from 1963 until some time in the 65 model year.It was a 2.56 ratio first gear (i assume that is waht you ment to typ not 2.54) Every 65 muncie i have ever seen has been the first design but i am told there are some of the second design in the 65 year.. 66 started the second design and first gear went to a 2.52

The first design transmissions had a 7/8" pin that the counter gear mounted on with 4 sets of 20 roller bearings. This was not a real heavy duty deal because you could almost get another bearing in each row.. making a smaller load bearing area. the second gen trans went to a 1" pin with 4 rows of 26 bearings closing up the gap and creating a greater load bearing surface,,,

The first gen transmissions also had weaker sincronizer design. This also was corrected with the second gen trans..

First thing is that you need to make sure what trans you have.. look on the side of the main case on the passinger side close to the top will be a casting number it is rasied not stamped into the case... Tell use the last 3 digits...

Then we can go from there...the first design trans can be made to hold up under moderate use, but if you plan on spanking this thing like a 3 year old in walmart you better go with the later transmission...

Just my .02 for what its worth....

Keith
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but I got two 4 speeds and the first one has a (case number 3925660 ;2-ring 10 spline input) (serial # P8P12 18N314728)

Second (case3885010) (P1021)
Muncie close ratio 2.20 ????
I used to know a little about these things back in 1965 , But I was better at bangin cogs , and my memory just don't work like a computer any more, matter of fact it never did.
Suffered a lot of brain cell loss during Army years 66-68 and civilian life from 68-present, tough job but someone had to do it
Old 02-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

muncie

The first one is a M-20 built in sept of 67 for a 1968 model year

The second one is a 66 or 67, the dates on these years is a bit odd to decipher,, I cannot tell if it's a M-20,21,22 unless i know the ring count,,, then it only holds water if it's a gm input because all the aftermarket parts makers did not follow Gm's pattern...

Keith
Old 02-06-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
The first one is a M-20 built in sept of 67 for a 1968 model year

The second one is a 66 or 67, the dates on these years is a bit odd to decipher,, I cannot tell if it's a M-20,21,22 unless i know the ring count,,, then it only holds water if it's a gm input because all the aftermarket parts makers did not follow Gm's pattern...

Keith
thanks , Keith
The second one has 1 ring , pretty sure its a gm input; 10 spline;26 teeth on input (m-21 close ratio)maybe ??
Old 02-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

trans

yep, 1 ring = M21 if it's still a GM piece.

Is there a 8 digit code some place else on this transmission. It would be in 1/8" tall stamped letters???? It could be on the top of the main case or on either side of the main case....

Keith
Old 02-07-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
yep, 1 ring = M21 if it's still a GM piece.

Is there a 8 digit code some place else on this transmission. It would be in 1/8" tall stamped letters???? It could be on the top of the main case or on either side of the main case....

Keith
Found six digits on other side (105274

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.