What is applied when a 4L60 is in reverse - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What is applied when a 4L60 is in reverse

Just like it says above I am looking to find out what components are applied in reverse. My 4L60 developed a delay and now a shutter in reverse.

I may decide to build it before I destroy it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM

what is applied

The low reverse clutchs and the reverse input drum [ the drum the band applies on ].

And I think your decision to build it, rather than to destroy it, is a good decision.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:51 AM

I haven't built a box in 25 years. ( I was a Mopar line mechanic at a dealership years ago ) I see there are a ton of parts out there for the 4L60. I have a deep pan and a cooler. I was thinking about the corvette servo. The 9 plate 3/4 pack and the line pressure increase orifice. Last but not least the S10 converter which should give me just a little more stall speed.

Its not a race car but it does have a very healthy 350 in it. I do tow a small trailer with it. maybe 2000 lbs tops. I do like to do a burn out with it once a year at our van club truck in.

Is there anything else I should beef up for a solid rebuild. Should I go for the wide bands and drums along with the good spraug. Where do you draw the line ?

One thing that strikes me odd is that low gear aka manual 1 is solid as a rock. Could the one way clutch be an issue. I wasn't leaning that way because a very slight delay started about 2 months ago. I have to assume it is a hydraulic issue.

Thanks billy

Last edited by Billvill; 05-22-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:18 AM

what is applied

Billy what year is this transmission? Lots of things to suggest.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:06 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

another thing that it could be that we just found for the same problem is the reverse boost valve, just had the exact same thing, reverse drum and the low/reverse clutches air checked just fine, but i still heard a shuttering noise, through the pump, found out it was the reverse boost valve, and replaced it. (whole pump, didnt have a reamer for the fix that sonnax has. just another idea
Old 05-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
One thing that strikes me odd is that low gear aka manual 1 is solid as a rock. Could the one way clutch be an issue. I wasn't leaning that way because a very slight delay started about 2 months ago. I have to assume it is a hydraulic issue.
Quote:
My 4L60 developed a delay and now a shutter in reverse.
two different things happening here.

You have a shutter in "R"....... Good holding in "manual 1"

as posted in shifter position "R" the reverse input clutch and the L/R clutch are holding. The "sprag " is NOT holding in "R".... as the sprag does "hold" in "manual 1". The sprag does NOT hold in "R" , so it is not a factor.

You can perform this test: ( as briscoe points out the 'year' of this box can determine how it reacts)

Drive the vehicle to max speed 25 mph.... move the shifter quickly to "manual 1 " as you lift off the gas pedal... Does "manual 1 " quickly take hold and provide engine braking?? IF it delays or seems a bit lazy , you may have a L-R clutch problem. SInce you have a mild shutter problem , this test may show limited results to work with

NEXT:

Quote:
Last but not least the S10 converter which should give me just a little more stall speed.
The S-10 converter for the small V-6 (2.8 liter)engine uses a different input shaft / Spline count setup.

IMHO..... You will not be happy with a S-10 converter behind a V-8 engine.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:07 PM

Its a 93 4L60E If I accelerate enough backing up my driveway where the rpm comes up raising line pressure I can nail it and there is no shudder. Leads me to think it is a hydraulic issue. I will do the manual shift down test tomorrow. I ran it on a 600 mile trip last week. Before I did . I did a filter and a deep pan. It has about 130K on it and had nothing real ugly in the pan. I had a "corvette servo" on the shelf for about a year and installed it also. That was a waste of my time in that the servo in the box was exactly the same size.

My son in law was backing it up the other day with a trailer on it to move a few things around. He isn't aware there is a problem ( he never drives my van ) anyway he hit it hard in reverse and it spun the tires. Go figure.

I have a core coming and I am going to build one. I would appreciate imput about what goodies to install.

ps: that 600 mile trip was my first highway run with 3.73 gears in the van. That gear and the box in OD is an absolute perfect cruiser @ 70 mph.

Last edited by Billvill; 06-09-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

This site may give some ideas on what you want.

http://www.4l60-e.com/
Old 06-10-2007, 10:50 AM

good site ! thanks for the lead
Old 06-10-2007, 11:28 AM

what is applied

Bill this unit has an aluminum piston in the reverse input drum. Once you have it apart, look at that piston carefully. You will see a bleed hole in the piston, where the bottom 'waved' steel plate will flatten out against the piston, when this piston is applied.

Close that hole down in size. When new, this hole may not be a consideration, but, after awhile this hole size, because of many reasons, will let too much reverse oil leak thru, creating a reverse delay, or shudder in reverse.

I would suggest a transgo shift kit, a better sun gear shell, maybe the beast sun shell, a kit that provides the ability to install more clutchs in the 3-4 clutch pack.

There seems to be no end [ relative to parts ] to what you can install into the 4L60e trans, as you strive to make it better. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:01 PM

Thats exactly what I have come to believe. I am leaning toward stepping up to the 4L80. I was talking to Dave Jarvis who drag races a full size chevy van. The truck leaves wheel up and is close to breaking into the 9's with a small block. I asked him what box he was using. He told me it was a bone stock 4L80 with a good converter. If a clean low mile unit becomes available I think i will go that way. If I build a bullet proof 4L60 I could have over $800.00 in parts in it.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billvill
Thats exactly what I have come to believe. I am leaning toward stepping up to the 4L80. I was talking to Dave Jarvis who drag races a full size chevy van. The truck leaves wheel up and is close to breaking into the 9's with a small block. I asked him what box he was using. He told me it was a bone stock 4L80 with a good converter. If a clean low mile unit becomes available I think i will go that way. If I build a bullet proof 4L60 I could have over $800.00 in parts in it.

Thanks for the input.

budget in some extra cash for the conversion to a 4L80E unit....

drive shaft mods , fresh slip yoke, crossmember mods, wire harness conversion , ECM re-programing....

i may have forgotten something

Last edited by Crosley; 06-10-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 PM

I have heard about the bleed hole from another builder also. He suggested opening up the separator plate to increase oil flow when reverse is applied. I wanted to install a shift kit no matter what I do so i think I may take that suggestion.

Any Input ? Do you guys know if the Transgo kit maps out the reverse flow hole in the separator plate ?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 AM

4l60e

The transgo kit does show you what hole to increase in size [ in the separator plate ] if you are only installing the shift kit and not going inside the trans, to rebuild it.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:31 PM

I think I am going to give that option a play. The trans just shifts and operates flawlessly in all forward gears. I really don't want to R&I it at this time. If the larger boost valve and opened up fluid feed does not resolve my issue I haven't spent any extra in that I would have added those items to the overhaul list.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.